Diesel Place banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I thought the concensus was that the recall reflash did not deal with the level refill/reset issue.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Didn't know there was a concensus. Just going on the available GM description of the reflash and the lack of any new cases of DEF "tank level lockup" since the reflash.
Had the "recalibration" a few weeks ago. Didn't fix the reset problem when fluid was added. Had it back to the dealer today and it still isn't fixed. Did pick up some mileage though.
The recall does not address the low fluid problem. There is a bulletin out for the low fluid level. I posted it in another thread, I'll see if I can find it.
Since the recall flash I have seen regens in as low as 250 miles between, no improvement in mileage.

Found it, TSB #PIP4864, this is the one my dealer said fixed the low fluid level.
mbro223, I believe I read elsewhere in this forum, from one or more owners with the same problem, that the original tank has to be completely replaced before the reflash. If I remember correctly, the programming problem permanently changed the way the system operated, so replacement is necessary. You could ask your dealer to enquire about this.
The tank does NOT have to be changed for the reset updates (Mine has been done twice - Rev D, then Rev F).

The procedure (pip4864) for the level reset update has been posted previously- it does not involve installation of new hardware.

The recall is a recalibraton of the def/scr system, the level reset update is just that, an update to the logic that decides when tha tank has had fluid added and how much is in the tank.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Some tanks were removed to drain the def (especially to thaw faster if the tank was frozen and not operated long enough to thaw).

I am also certain there was another campaign last spring that did require the tank to be changed. When mine required the 2nd update (in Mar) I was on the road and at a dealer that had not dealt with any def issues. The first PIP he stumbled upon was one that required replacing the tank/pump assy. He than found that they were on some sort of national back order. I got him to search further (knowing he would find the reset PIP we are familiar with). He verified the symptoms listed in the PIP and updated the truck to Rev F - and we were on our way.

No new tank and no problems since - but there have been several newer versions of the PIP reflash released since - and even the newest says it is not the final release.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Glamis, the reflash for level sensing problem a multistep procedure.

The condensed version:
Drain def tank.
Reflash number one.
Fill def tank.
Reflash number two.
Using TechII verify that tank sensors are all 'active' and that calculated range is greater than xxxx.

Mine has been done twice (difference versons of the update and at different dealers as the truck was on the road the 2nd time) and have not neither charged for def.

Fuel mileage has improved with odometer mileage.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
OK, My question on the reflash is: Are they reusing the old fluid or just refilling with new, And how many of you are paying for it?

Seems if its a recall, they would just handle it. Am I wrong?
When my reset reflashes were done both dealers used new fluid. No charge.

I don't think they need to use fluid if it is for the recall.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
You don't have a choice in California, you can't renew your tags until you get the recall done
Unless you need tags right away you could always delay until tag time -- incase there are updates to the recall. We know there have been many revisions to the reset update. (including one after the recall was released)

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
OK, Got the reflash. They charged me for the DEF to fill it up again? So far, have not noticed anything. Time will tell on the mileage.

Oh, And I have a leak. They say its the upper pan gasket.....Great..........
Did they do the recall flash or the level reset reflash?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.