Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ SRW
1,830 Posts
There is extensive discussion on this in other threads on this forum. The reflash is just as bigman55434 says, a recalibration of the DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) system that works with the SCR (Selective catalytic reduction) to eliminate NOX (oxides of nitrogen) in the exhaust. Various owners have said they are experiencing fewer regenerations and/or more mpg, but there does not seem to be any official GM information to support these observations.

It is very risky to allow the DEF to get low if you have not had the reflash, because the DEF level monitoring system can go into a nasty funk. This in turn will send your truck to the dealership for a while.

So get it done.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Didn't know there was a concensus. Just going on the available GM description of the reflash and the lack of any new cases of DEF "tank level lockup" since the reflash.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Thanks for that new info mbro223. If the reflash didn't fix your DEF reset problem I'll be the engineers will be tearing their hair out at this point.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
mbro223, I believe I read elsewhere in this forum, from one or more owners with the same problem, that the original tank has to be completely replaced before the reflash. If I remember correctly, the programming problem permanently changed the way the system operated, so replacement is necessary. You could ask your dealer to enquire about this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.