Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked the tech what this re-flash was for and exactly what improvements it will make, his response was," I don't know it just said recalibration." Does anyone know what this flash changed? I believe I'm seeing an extra mile per gallon making my same drive to Baltimore from Harrisburg PA.:cool:

·
Registered
677 Posts
I got that answer from a dealer that I stopped by. I have not got this done yet. Might just hold off for awhile.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I called my service advisor a month ago and he told me that I also have the ECM reflash recall listed for my truck. I told him I wanted to hold off also as this might not be the permanent fix and at the present time my truck is doing great. He said that was fine...

·
Registered
213 Posts
I asked the tech what this re-flash was for and exactly what improvements it will make, his response was," I don't know it just said recalibration." Does anyone know what this flash changed? I believe I'm seeing an extra mile per gallon making my same drive to Baltimore from Harrisburg PA.:cool:
I believe it affected only the SCR system, including the heaters. They extended the run time of the heaters in cold weather, to help avoid some of the freezing issues in super cold weather.

·
Registered
2022 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ SRW
1,830 Posts
There is extensive discussion on this in other threads on this forum. The reflash is just as bigman55434 says, a recalibration of the DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) system that works with the SCR (Selective catalytic reduction) to eliminate NOX (oxides of nitrogen) in the exhaust. Various owners have said they are experiencing fewer regenerations and/or more mpg, but there does not seem to be any official GM information to support these observations.

It is very risky to allow the DEF to get low if you have not had the reflash, because the DEF level monitoring system can go into a nasty funk. This in turn will send your truck to the dealership for a while.

So get it done.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I thought the concensus was that the recall reflash did not deal with the level refill/reset issue.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Didn't know there was a concensus. Just going on the available GM description of the reflash and the lack of any new cases of DEF "tank level lockup" since the reflash.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Didn't know there was a concensus. Just going on the available GM description of the reflash and the lack of any new cases of DEF "tank level lockup" since the reflash.
Had the "recalibration" a few weeks ago. Didn't fix the reset problem when fluid was added. Had it back to the dealer today and it still isn't fixed. Did pick up some mileage though.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Thanks for that new info mbro223. If the reflash didn't fix your DEF reset problem I'll be the engineers will be tearing their hair out at this point.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I am a nervous wreck. I wish that Edge will get the programming issue figured out ASAP. I go to Disney in 5 weeks. I literally have 4951 miles on the truck. I have 5 gallon of def waiting to go in on the work bench. I want to get before and after readings when I go to fill it!!

Cmon edge!!!!

·
Registered
684 Posts
The recall does not address the low fluid problem. There is a bulletin out for the low fluid level. I posted it in another thread, I'll see if I can find it.
Since the recall flash I have seen regens in as low as 250 miles between, no improvement in mileage.

Found it, TSB #PIP4864, this is the one my dealer said fixed the low fluid level.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thanks for that new info mbro223. If the reflash didn't fix your DEF reset problem I'll be the engineers will be tearing their hair out at this point.
I don't know how "UP" my dealer is on this issue Ted. They haven't even pulled the tank at this point so I think other than the recall they did, its just bandaids. Hope they have a plan before the snow starts flyin'! Its going back in next week. At least the DIC is adding miles to the DEF. I picked it up at the dealer yesterday and it was at 268 miles left. Now its at 273 miles! Oboy! At this rate I'll never have to buy fluid again!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
mbro223, I believe I read elsewhere in this forum, from one or more owners with the same problem, that the original tank has to be completely replaced before the reflash. If I remember correctly, the programming problem permanently changed the way the system operated, so replacement is necessary. You could ask your dealer to enquire about this.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Had the "recalibration" a few weeks ago. Didn't fix the reset problem when fluid was added. Had it back to the dealer today and it still isn't fixed. Did pick up some mileage though.
The recall does not address the low fluid problem. There is a bulletin out for the low fluid level. I posted it in another thread, I'll see if I can find it.
Since the recall flash I have seen regens in as low as 250 miles between, no improvement in mileage.

Found it, TSB #PIP4864, this is the one my dealer said fixed the low fluid level.
mbro223, I believe I read elsewhere in this forum, from one or more owners with the same problem, that the original tank has to be completely replaced before the reflash. If I remember correctly, the programming problem permanently changed the way the system operated, so replacement is necessary. You could ask your dealer to enquire about this.
The tank does NOT have to be changed for the reset updates (Mine has been done twice - Rev D, then Rev F).

The procedure (pip4864) for the level reset update has been posted previously- it does not involve installation of new hardware.

The recall is a recalibraton of the def/scr system, the level reset update is just that, an update to the logic that decides when tha tank has had fluid added and how much is in the tank.

·
Registered
530 Posts
First of all I am pretty sure already, that I made a mistake in taking the truck in for the reflash. Had it done Tues. and it ran at high idle rpm Wed and Thur; did not however get the keep driving message. More concerning to me is the fact that the EGT's are a consistant 200 to 250 degrees higher at 60 to 70 mph over my normal driving routes and the ambient has been 20 degrees cooler. That really makes me suspect that there was some pretty strong change in the fuel mapping or could be that they are once again adding some additional cylinder injector fueling at regen.
I was thinking of contacting the dealer when I got a call from the dealership inquiring about my thoughts of their recent serviceing. I offered that I was not pleased to which the response was that a rep would contact me to discuss the issues; I asked that the service manager contact me. He did call back promply and I voiced my concerns; this is a good manager whom I know quite well. Right off the bat I sensed that he was not real high on the programming and alluded to the fact that the EPA likely was involved and that it was his feeling that the standard programming was not cleaning the system well enough and letting it plug more than intended before regenning. When I quizzed him about the higher EGT's he said he would do what he could to get some answers.
I rather doubt that they will provide him with any real information; seems to be the norm anymore.
Now the question; can they reinstall the old programming?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thanks Ted. I'll mention it to them, along with the TSB # in the previous post. I'll get this right yet!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Some tanks were removed to drain the def (especially to thaw faster if the tank was frozen and not operated long enough to thaw).

I am also certain there was another campaign last spring that did require the tank to be changed. When mine required the 2nd update (in Mar) I was on the road and at a dealer that had not dealt with any def issues. The first PIP he stumbled upon was one that required replacing the tank/pump assy. He than found that they were on some sort of national back order. I got him to search further (knowing he would find the reset PIP we are familiar with). He verified the symptoms listed in the PIP and updated the truck to Rev F - and we were on our way.

No new tank and no problems since - but there have been several newer versions of the PIP reflash released since - and even the newest says it is not the final release.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I made my appointment at the dealer, and I was told they have to top off the tank in order to complete the reprogram. They told me that I would have to pay for the fluid to top it off and quoted me $40........

I take it in first thing in the morning. Did not want to argue over the phone, but this seems to be some BS....Ill pay if its low and needs a gallon, but do we know if they are draining it or what......

This DEF is becoming a pain. The dealer did not fill it when I bought it, and this is after I told them several times to make sure it was done when they did the PDI. I take it on an out of state trip shortly after and what do I get, a warning that it is low. I put a couple gallons in to get me by and then take it back to the dealer when I get home. I tell them about it, they fill it, and make a damn mess under the hood when they are done. Poor place to put the filler in my opinion, but after filling it at the pump at a Loves Truck stop, which was a pain, then having the dealer do it, I am having second thoughts as to the "Convenience" of it...Hell, I thought it was supposed to help the MPG, and I cant seem to get over 14 around town. I got 17 on a trip when it was unloaded and coasting on the highway.....

OK Rant over.....You can check the For Sale section later if you want a 2011.......

·
Registered
684 Posts
My thinking is the same as yours Glamis, might be two in the For Sale section if they don't get this straightened out this next trip to the dealer. I got several other issues as well.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.