Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I found all the parts I need. Found a box with tailgate and front fender like 20 mins away from me for $1000. Found the hood and other fender for $450 about 40 mins away. Then I found a complete cab with interior just no seats for $3000, but I still have the seats from my truck. So total comes to 4450, now I figure its going to take us about a couple weekends to get it back to normal. But I am up for it, and its a good way for me to learn even more about body work.

There are a few things I have to get yet, such as a motor mount, tail lights, possibly some other front end pieces but majority of the inner fenders seem to be good. Well it should be fun, now just have to pick myself up a book so I know where all the electrical connection are going into and out of the cab. And some other things as well.

But I am still deciding on whether or not to keep it, or just sell it and get what I can for the truck.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I would just piece it out and get new... much easier and you wont have to worry about all the problems that come with trying to get it all done, it will take you more then a couple of weekends..... I did a truck before and lets just say its a lot of work and can be frustrating at times. Then after your all done youll sell it... JMO

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Look in my garage, I built mine, will do it again. But working in the garage is what I do, not a football fan, don't hunt, sleds, bikes, cars and trucks are prretty much how I spend my spare time. Hell the reason I wanted a Dmax was to pull my big sled trailer, chasing snow.

Just keep in mind the differences in the electrical architecure of the pre 03 models and post 03 models.

My drivers door is from an 02, had to swap out the wiring harness, from the 03 door. The window regulator, lock actuator, and speaker was plug and play. Difference was where the harness connected to the truck.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well everything I got was from an 03 truck, so I am hoping everything will be the same locations. I am pretty excited as well to get this going, I have spent many hours working on cars with my father, we are restoring 2 69 Camaros right now.

The reason why I don't want to go all new is because half the time you buy new parts you have to make them fit. We have bought countless fenders for vehicles and had to make them fit. So why not just get them already done and painted and bolt them in. Simple.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well got the fenders off, the seats out, all the wiring harnesses out, and found out that the cab we got was a 02, so you were right the wiring harnesses are different. I might have to pluck your brain if we don't figure it out. The remainder of the cab is coming off tonight, then we are going to be undercoating the whole frame, and hopefully by Sunday we will have the new cab on, and can starting running the wires and reconnecting everything. Then its box time, that should be like 10 mins to get that done. Once that is done, we are going to pick up the front fenders and hood, and hopefully next week I will have the remainder of the parts and from there its just putting on the finishing touches. Fixing scratches, dings, putting seats back in.

I will take some pictures of the process, and keep you guys up to date.

·
Registered
249 Posts
i hope u got a title with that cab u bought or your gonna be up shits creek without a paddle since the vin plate in your old cab goes to ur title and u can not use your title for the new cab since it has differnt vin number and is considerd a differnt truck, usally the only way to make that work is to take both titles down to the reg office and get a title with both vins on it .

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why couldn't we just swap the vins, and saw we painted the truck a different color? I am waiting on the guys reposnse if he finds the title. Otherwise I wonder if we can file for a lost title....

943783Z71- how did you title your truck after you rebuilt yours??

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heres some pictures of what we have done so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Looks good, hard part is just keeping at it. Some days, after getting home from work, you just don't feel like going in the garage. Once you overcome that, its all down hill. Hope my PM helped with the title questions, good luck.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah well it has been hard, I work all day then have to drive 30 mins to the shop to work til 10 then drive back another 30 mins just to wake up in less than 7 hours. But its coming along very well I think. As soon as we get that cab in, and the box stuff will start to fly.

·
Registered
859 Posts
what are you doing? im soo lost

·
Registered
859 Posts
nvm i see the pictures now let alone picture :)

good luck on your project!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks man! Just wish it would stop f-ing raining so I can work on it. Went and picked up the hood and 2 front fenders today. Hopefully we get the cab on tomorrow, get the wiring all run, then I can throw the box on while my father works on the cab portion, then on with the fenders and hood. I am hoping we will be done by the end of Oct.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
i thought you were in oconomowoc, did you move?

i was going to offer a hand since i work in oconomowoc , but east troy is a little bit of a haul

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Live in East Troy, work in Delavan, school in Whitewater, but the shop is in Oconomowoc. So thats where we are working on it. Right now we don't really need help, we are still finishing up some undercoating and some body work on the cab. But as soon as thats done we sure could use some help with the cab getting on. If anyone knows anyone in SE WI area with a crane or has a boom truck that would lend us a hand on getting this cab on the frame that would be great. Kinda hard getting this heavy thing on a truck with 12 inches of lift on 37's. But we may take the tires off and put the truck on "skates" to ease the lifting of the cab. But we will see tonight, going out there tonight after work to work on it somemore. Hopefully we get the cab body work done so maybe paint tomorrow. We are only fixing 2 dents for now, and depending how well lthey turn out we may take the other 2 little door dings out as well.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
where is the shop, there is only a handful of shops out there but i don't remember seeing your truck at any of them, the shop that i was doing my work out of is a old burial vault factory next to the middle school, now there is not much for wrenching going on there but the work truck i drive is still kept there

if you don't have the box on, it would only take about 6 guys to lift the cab on by hand, its not that bad to do, we just took off the cab from my 94 and that had 13" lift but had stock tires on it to get it into the garage

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well we got it on last night. Was actually easier that I thought, just used a cherry picker for the rear and had come lifts from the shop and raise the front and we just rolled the truck right under and lined up the holes and put the body bolts in. We also got the box on as well last night.

Our "shop" is actually a 3 car garage that is detached with 9ft doors and a lift and pretty much everything we need. My old man used to own a few Meinekes but now sold them all so we still have all the remaining equipment.

As for later this week we will be finishing the body work on it, running the wires, putting on the 2 front fenders, hopefully finding the right hood. The j/a at Jantz Auto Yard gave me a hood for a 01-02 HD, I was not there to pick it up so I didnt see it til they brought it to the shop. But the funny thing is the vin on it says its a 05. I have no idea how that is, but I will be getting the correct hood for it.

I will post some more pictures later this week.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts