Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some opinions on if I should install rear wheel spacers. I got the Fabtech 6" lift installed this weekend, knowing full well the front wheels would stick out further - the only drawback of this kit, BTW. Any of you out there running a similar lift that has the spacers or not, and for what reasons? I personally think it would make the truck look more symmetrical, especially from the front and rear angles. Any drawbacks? It snowed yesterday, and it was a trip watching the snow from my front tires shoot up past the windows!
I'm just glad it wasn't dirt/rocks. Kind of distracted me from driving, though.

So should I, or shouldn't I? Thanks in advance for replies.

·
Registered
989 Posts
i am running the same kit and i have installed alot of them, I work at Olympic Off-Road in Tacoma, Wa. that is our most popular kit and we do at least one or two a week. anyways, we have NEVER put spacers on the front or the rear of these trucks! it is unfortunate that it increases the front track width, but it does increase the stability of the truck as well. pretty good tradeoff, especially when off-roading or hauling a Camper. there really arent enough people that have any idea that there is a difference on the track widths to make it worthwhile to put them on, plus we have heard MANY horror stories of spacers, i would say if you plan on doing any heavy towing or offroading i would skip the spacers. that is just my opinion though....

-Jeff

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have been running wheel spacers on the rear of my truck for going on two years and I love them. They make the truck look more balanced and I feel they provide a little more stability. You can check out some pics of them here:

http://mct.truckmoxie.com/mygallery.ten?id=3741&album=10196

I ordered these from http://www.wheeladapter.com

These were custom made and I provided them with all the measurements for my application. I have had no adverse effect from having these spacers on my truck and I drive over 20,000mi a year. I don't have a lifted truck, but I don't think that would make to much of a difference. It may help more with the stability of the truck sense its higher up from the surface of the road. Hope this helps a little...

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hi Chevyfreek,

Do you remember what he charged you? How thick did you get your spacers? They look like 2".

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think I order them at an 1-5/8" deep so total they would add 3-1/4" of additional track width in the rear. I also trimmed the tip off of the existing wheels studs so I did not have to replace them. You can see that in the pics. I think I paid $250 for the set delivered at the time. I cannot find any of my information from the purchase of course. I looked the other day when someone asked me about them. Sorry I can't be more exact. Best thing to do is give Fred a call, his information is on the website I posted above. He will build them to what ever dimensions you want though.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I think for now I'll probably just keep it the way it is. Maybe down the road I'll take another look at it.

wsucowboy, good point about the handling, I was just thinking about the look. I do tow, and I'll need to keep that in mind.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I called Fred at http://www.wheeladapter.com/ and he quoted me $140 each with lugs/nuts. I asked about the possibility of a discount with a group buy and he never responded.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well $140 a piece is not to bad, I wish I had the exact amount I paid when I bought mine for comparison. What did you mean buy he never responded? Was this an e-mail you sent or you were actually talking to him and he just did not say anthing when you asked him? Maybe he is not familar with what a group buy is, who knows....

Remember there are a few other places out there a well making wheels spacers so you can always shop around, but you will want good quality for a part like this....

·
Registered
646 Posts
It was via email and I explained what a group buy was (this after the phone conversation).

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I have some I got from Performance Wheel and Tire in Denver. Goood price made of aluminum aircraft grade rated > 50,000 psi. They will not break. I know severa rockcrawlers that use them all the time.

Mine are 2" That is all you need. My biggest issues is finding fender flares to keep the f*****g mud off the side of the truck.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yep, these wheel spacers are darn strong. Worth the money in my opinion.....

·
Registered
522 Posts
I use 1.5" spacers on each of the rear wheels. I think it makes the truck look alot meaner and also gives me more stability on the road. Kind-of a pain when in someone elses ruts, but I'm wiling to trade that for the look. I've done some towing with my spacers in and never had a problem in over 23000km!

I did a pile of research on spacers before I installed them and as far as I gathered, unless you're REALLY bashing your truck around, you're not going to break anything. Mine are made of solid aircraft aluminum as well.

Just like Chevyfreek, I had to trim my studs off about 3/8" in order to flush mount the wheel to the spacer. 20 minutes with the angle grinder and cutting wheel and we were all set! Total install took less than an hour!

·
Diesel Master
1,858 Posts
I just installed the Rancho 4" kit. While I love the stability that extra 3" in front track provides, I also am not excited about the look. From what I have researched so far, our GM 14 bolt rear end is extremely stout and many have rear wheel spacers with absolutely no problems. Along with looks--which is minor--increasing rear track will add even more stability to the truck, which will be a real plus when towing. Stock, our trucks have about 2.5" more front track than rear. A pair of 1.5" spacers would put our trucks back to stock track differential, but I don't want to trime the rear studs. I am thinking 1.75-2" would be about right.

I am also going to add wider fender flares so my tires won't stick out past my fender. Some states require this.

Blaine

·
Registered
118 Posts
Correct Track makes a set of 2" spacers. You can take a look-see @ their web site www.correctrack.com. I've been running them for about 15,000 miles. Do not have lifts but they are needed in this part of country as we have a studded tire season from Nov. 1 - April 1 and badely rutted roadway. This way, the rears follow in the same track/rut!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
check my previous post in this thread. If you have a 6" Fabtech the 2" spacer is just about right. 2.5" would be perfect ( I have measured mine to determine this). But 2" looks almost perfect. the aircraft aluminum is plenty strong and much cheaper than steel. I started with a 1.5" spacer and the seller/installer (Performance wheel and tire, Denver) had to trim the lugs. I took it back and had them put 2" spacers on. Looks great. I am probably going for Bushwhacker cut-out fender flares next. I tried fabricating some of my own design but could not obtain an acceptable look.

check this thread if you are using spacers:

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6976&PN=1&TPN=1Edited by: Deadeye

1 - 15 of 15 Posts