Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for information on the wiring harness and temperature sensor for the electronic mirror. This sensor measures the ambient external air temperature. Installing one in a 2001 Chevy that has the wiring harness in the ceiling, but having a hard time tracing where it goes to see if the sensor is there or I need to add one. Temp. reads zero (0) right now so I don't think there is a sensor hooked up to the other end of the wiring harness. Any help locating where the wires come out under the hood would be a big help. Thanks in advance.

Jeff.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I moved my sensor so that it would read correctly with the winter cover on. The armored sensor cable originated below the driver's headlight and ran across the lower radiator support up to the sensor mounted on a bracket halfway up and on the driver's side of the center support under the grill. I could take a look in the morning if you need more - not going out into an uheated 20 degree garage in my jammies tonight!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tom,

I'll take a look to see if I can locate it today. My guess is that I don't have one installed and will have to purchase the sensor and cable asm. that will allow me to connect into the wiring harness that comes from the cab.

Jeff.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I moved my sensor so that it would read correctly with the winter cover on. The armored sensor cable originated below the driver's headlight and ran across the lower radiator support up to the sensor mounted on a bracket halfway up and on the driver's side of the center support under the grill. I could take a look in the morning if you need more - not going out into an uheated 20 degree garage in my jammies tonight!

Tom, (Idle_Chatter)
Where did you move your sensor to for an accurate reading with the winter cover on? Were you able to access the sensor by taking the top plastic cover off that goes between the grill and radiator?

Joe

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
"Where did you move your sensor to for an accurate reading with the winter cover on? Were you able to access the sensor by taking the top plastic cover off that goes between the grill and radiator?

"

Yes

It was located on the tranny cooler mount on the drivers side on the top on a 01.... It's a push in style mount .... I dissgarded the mount and just pushed the sensor onto the already there hole on the rad support .... If you look between the the grill cross bar near the driverside headlight you can just see available hole to mount the sensor ....

Mac

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
The hole that I pressed mine into was on the inside of the black plastic skirt under the driver's side daytime running light. That puts the tip of the probe into the gap above the bumper cover and at the lower right corner of the grille

You can just see the gray probe tip in the shadow in the circle. I moved mine, including removal of the factory bracket, by pulling off the grille. You have to remove the black plastic top cover by lifting the centers of the push-pins, then you'll see one bolt holding the grill to the center support accessible from above. Once that bolt is out, the grill can be pulled forward and off by grasping it at each end of the center bar just inside the lights. There are two spring fasteners that press into holes in the light support brackets. The probe is squeezed and popped out of the OEM bracket and the bracket can be removed with one small bolt holding it in place. There was enough pre-existing cable to move my probe over to the DRL skirt, but I did have to snip one wire-tie on the lower rad support.Edited by: Idle_Chatter

·
Registered
336 Posts
I added the temp/compass mirror to my 2001. The harness was in the cab. I had to add the temp probe myself. If you take the the electrical center apart there is a plug that is dead ended. This is where I soldered in the pigtail with the temperature probe. I wish I had some pictures, but I'm recalling this from memory, it's been two years.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Here are a couple pictures of my relocated temperature sensor.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
PA24Pilot, you may want to turn that sensor over, you have the cable and "back" of the probe in the airflow in the bumper gap and the sensor tip up into the void above the bumper cover. Put the cable and connector up out of sight on the top and the tip down into the gap. Edited by: Idle_Chatter

·
Registered
155 Posts
Tom,

Thanks for the tip, I have mounted the sensor the other way now. The temp probe is hiding inside of the mount and not very obvious. I did take some new pictures.

I cut a slot in a small piece of aluminum for a retainer on the sensor mount as shown in the above picture. Instead of pulling the grille off I was able to access the sensor from the bottom. There is a plastic filler panel that is very flexible and you just bend it away to allow access to the sensor. I believe the whole job could be done from the bottom in just a few minutes.

Joe

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Good photos, Joe- that should help a lot of folks on what to look for in locating the probe. My 2001 doesn't have the space that you have under the grill. My Probe was pretty far up towards the hood latch on the center support. It probably could have been done from the top with the shroud off, but the grill popped on and off pretty easy, so why do headstands?

·
Registered
353 Posts
PA24Pilot said:
Tom,

Thanks for the tip, I have mounted the sensor the other way now. The temp probe is hiding inside of the mount and not very obvious. I did take some new pictures.

Just to clarify the black tip sticking through the retainer is the sensor?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Nope, that's the retainer. Look at the picture above it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thanks Larry. So the grey piece should be in the air flow. Got it.

I moved mine to the side right by the DRL on the drivers side. Had to drill a hole but it was easy in the plastic support.

Seems to read a little better now. But it is still 4-5 degrees off from the radio and bank signs.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Just for clarification, yes - the black button (some are gray) in the center of the four springy "petals" that mount the unit IS the sensor probe. The large snap block with the wire that FirstDiesel points out is nothing but the connector. The factory mounting is with the "tip" of the sensor forward and the connector and wiring on the back (radiator) side of the bracket. The springy petals and sensor tip should be mounted into the air stream that you wish to monitor.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I moved my temp sensor into the square cutout in the bumper. I don't plan on putting my bumper cover on so I won't have to worry about it getting blocked. Reads very accurate and is always in the air flow and you cannot see it unless you get down at the same level. There is a tab with a hole in the bumper in that area and it made for a great mounting point. Here are some pics:

Edited by: 4x4man

·
Registered
509 Posts
So my 2001 should have the harness already? All I have to do is add the mirror and probe? Just out of curiosity, how many kids will I have to sell to buy those? Are we talking big bucks or are the prices reasonable? Edited by: Oldman

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I'm not sure if you'll have the harness or the probe, Oldman. It's possible that the wiring is in the harness on the frame rail, but not extended beyond for the temp probe or up the A pillar and into the headliner for the mirror. I'd guess 1 to 1-1/2 kids (depending on their mileage and condition!)

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'm going to be looking for some wires this weekend. here's hoping I find them above the headliner!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just pull down your overhead console (after you remove the screw of course) and follow the overhead console wiring back in the headliner. You'll feel where it splits off and then you'll find the plug.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts