Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dmaxalliTech,

Saw your earlier post on the rear spring clunk (slap); however, I only notice mine after coming to a stop. When I start moving again, it feels like a jerk from someone tapping me in the rear end. It does not do it when hooked up to my 30' fifth-wheel. The dealership (Martin Chev. in Breaux Bridge, LA) placed the spring isolaters on the ends of the overloads and that didn't help. They wedged a 3/4" wooden block between the overloads and the first spring and it fixed the problem; no, I didn't leave it in there, it would have been sawdust by now. Any solutions?

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I am thinking that the driveshaft slip yoke may be causing it. The splines sometimes tend to stick when loaded and when the release, they 'snap'. remove the driveshaft and use some heavy grease, like a wheel bearing grease to coat the splines on the slip yoke. There is special grease for this but its 30 bucks a can.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a two-piece drive shaft. Are you talking about the splines from where it goes into the Allison?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dmaxalliTech,

From another post, I found out that it is the slip-joint at the center of the driveshafts that needs to be greased. I stopped by the local dealership and they printed off several pages on the removal of the driveshaft. After I had left I saw where the clamps on the boot are to be removed. Is there an easy way to remove them where they can be replaced or do they need to be replaced with new ones and can I install them or does it need a special tool to install it? Or, can any other type of clamp be used, i.e., spring clamp, hose clamp, etc?

·
Registered
236 Posts
It is wierd my 97 ck1500 would kind of have the clunk about a second after i would come to a stop and now my 04 2500hd kind of has the same clunk like you described when i take my foot off the brake after being stopped.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
The splines that go into the tranny are the ones I see trouble with. I dont think a two piece shaft should have the trouble as the front portion of the shaft should not move in and out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dmaxalliTech,

Thank you immensely for the info you gave on greasing the spline on the rear driveshaft where it mates to the front shaft. I had been having a "clunk" in the rear end for about the last 15,000 miles when I take off from a dead stop. After greasing the splines, it now rides like the day I drove it home new.

Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts