Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has already been put to bed. I had the TSB performed and my truck worked fine. I did notice that one of the replaced lower spring pads had already been sheared off and fallen out again. 3 more to go untill full spring slap is back. Two qustions.

1. Why does my truck eat up lower spring pads?

2. Where do I find those lower spring pads/sleeves that I have seen on this sight before? I saw a picture of somebodys truck. It had pads for the lower spring that actually slip over the end of the lower spring. It was like a boot. I have searched the records and can not find this picture. Please help.Edited by: Bronco

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Now you've got me wondering. I had those put on my last Dooley for spring slap and they worked really well. You have to pound them on with a rubber mallet and they don't come off.

I've seen them and the part number here someplace, but no responses to your question has me thinking. Have you looked at the TSB section? I think that's where I spotted them.

edit info:

GOT IT!!!! It's not got pictures, but it's something Eric posted on the TSB section. Sounds like the animal and has part numbers. I don't recall seeing the post you mentioned with pictures and can't locate it either.

Here's the link: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=529&PN=1Edited by: Zeeb

·
Registered
421 Posts
I solved my problem by building my own spring pads. Here is what I did.

1. <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Cut to fit two (2) pieces of inner tube to match the shape of the springs.</LI>
    <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Punched a small hole in inner tube that would line up with the center of the hole on the bottom spring.</LI>
    <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Found a small machine screw (#6 I think) and a washer that would fit through the hole in the bottom spring. The washer will fit through the hole in the spring.</LI>
    <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Made a large washer that had a hole in it that would just fit the machine screw. I actually made the washer out of a penny but don’t tell the government.</LI>
    <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Assemble as follows: small washer, two pieces of inner tube, place on top of bottom spring leaf, large (penny) washer on bottom of spring and nut.</LI>
    <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Tighten nut until the head of the machine screw is pulled down almost flush with the top of hole in spring.</LI>
    <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">You’re done.</LI>
That’s all I did and it works great.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the replie.

The boots that I am talking about were shown in a picture of a registered user of this sight. I do belive the conversation had to do with one thing and then took a small tanget to the topic of spring slap. The insulators in the picture were big enough to fit all the way over the end of the very bottom spring. Kind of like a book sleeve. I will keep looking. I might just have to build my own.

·
Registered
98 Posts
That was Mackin on my post. I can't remember subject,but pt# is 15604174.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Bullseye54 said:
That was Mackin on my post. I can't remember subject,but pt# is 15604174.Hope this helps.

That's one of the part numbers appearing in the TSB.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Those revised pads that go over the ends of the bottom spring will fix you loosing them. I have probably lost 6 of those original type. Haven't lost one since changing to the new design. I think that I lost so many because the shocks were junk, and that resulted in every small suspension movment being absorbed by the springs and not the shocks.

Forgot to mention that the dealer put them on last time without me even asking, replaced all of them. So they gotta exist.

laterEdited by: Stove

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked my reciepts and they never installed part #15604174.

They replaced everything but the kitchen sink and the kitchen sink is exactly what I needed. I will take it back in late this week.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
You ought to copy that service bulletin to take with you, or at least get the number and issue date off it. There are different part numbers depending on what truck you have.

The number listed by Bullseye54 is only one of them.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is how it went.

I took the truck in and did not mention the TSB. The stealer replaced all of the upper insulators. They did not even replace the lower spring pads. They were still missing. I brought the truck back in and they replaced the lowerspring pads with STOCK spring pads. One of those spring pads has already fallen out. Probally because I tow a single axel trailer a bunch. I will call the stealer and make sure they have the right part for my truck and then take the truck in with a copy of the TSB. I bet the true TSB will correct my problem permantly.

Thank you all very much!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts