Diesel Place banner

Rear end vibration

Question: 
523 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Phil 44 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

Haven't been on the site for a while, recently I have only been using the truck as a back up and it has been doing pretty well.

I have a '98 K3500 Dually with about 215,000 miles.

I picked up a vibration and I am pretty sure it is the rear end and I was wondering if anyone else had experienced it and if so, how it was fixed.

What I have done:
  • New tires and balance - no change
  • Put it on jack stands (on the frame) ran it at 35 mph - definite vibration in the rear
  • Removed the wheels - still vibrates
  • Removed the drums and axles - no vibration
- The odd thing about this is I tried different combinations of axles and drums (singly and paired) and it vibrates with either axle and either drum.
  • Removed the differential cover - nothing looked unusual, no visible broken teeth and no pieces or parts in the bottom
  • Ran the truck at idle in drive with one axle and drum installed and I could see a rhythmic vibration on the ring gear.
  • Nothing other than the rear end seems to be vibrating - Transmission, transfer case, drive shaft...all seem fine.

The only thing I have seen that looks odd (other than the vibration) is when I shift from Drive to reverse and back again, the drive shaft seems to make a least one complete revolution without turning the wheels and about half the time there is a loud clunk that I never heard when the truck is on the ground.

Appreciate any help you can give me.

See less See more
#3 ·
The only thing I have seen that looks odd (other than the vibration) is when I shift from Drive to reverse and back again, the drive shaft seems to make a least one complete revolution without turning the wheels and about half the time there is a loud clunk that I never heard when the truck is on the ground.
My first thought was that you'd dropped a prop shaft balance weight - until I read that last paragraph.

Now I'm thinking that somehow you've sheared the pinion shaft inside the diff and it's only catching on the smallest of remnants to provide drive.

I'd suggest you disconnect the prop shaft from the diff and see how much play you have there - both longitudinally and rotationally.

Cheers,... Jon.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies,

I did remove the diff. cover and didn't see anything wrong. I will try prying on things when I get it back in the shop. I will also try what you said Jonno. It will probably be a while because I needed the truck so I put it back together. I will let you know what happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.