Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the other day that my rear end does not seem to be locking like it used to. The last time I remember it working properly was when I was getting on the interstate and I was having trouble getting traction. It was spinning through 2nd and 3rd and then I heard a mild popping noise just as I was beggining to lift. The truck did not act any different or make any weird noises. It has been several thousand miles since. I have not pulled the cover off yet to see what is going on. I was reading today though about some type of tab of pin shearing off to prevent the axle shafts from breaking. I'm not sure if this applies to this axle or not. I am trying to do some homework before I pull the cover off. Any suggestions would be helpful. Also, am I correct by saying that the rear end is in fact an AAM 11.5 rear end with the Eaton G80 locking differential. I could not find anything that said otherwise. One more thing, is this rear end any different than the ones in the 24V Dodge's.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The locker will only lock at low speeds. Like pulling out of a driveway covered in snow. I don't believe it would lock in 2nd and 3rd because you'd be moving along pretty good by then.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
have you been doing donuts? :D

that will KILL a G80

Its not the same as the Dodge rear end. The Dodge uses a "trac rite" diff which is closer to a limited slip than a true locker like the G80 IIRC...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:D I "think" I know what might have killed it. :D

Are the housings and other parts the same?

·
Registered
515 Posts
The locker will only lock at speeds below 25 mph.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
My understanding is the parts are the same except the axle tubes on the GM are 3 1/2" and the tubes on the Dodge are 4", as well as the limited slip in the Dodge Vs. G80 in the GM. I checked this out on a buddy of mines Dodge. We ordered the same Mag-Hytech covers. If I'm wrong somone will correct me.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Dont quote me BUT i believe and am pretty sure that Dodge's "trac-rite" WILL fit in Duramax. I think a few people have even done the swap here on DP.

My friend drives a 2000 cummins and the "trac-rite" rear is acts like its brand new, no matter the conditions he can hang the rear end out all day.

I would be interested in the swap also.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Yes, the Dodge trac-rite will fit, but remember its not a "true" locker... so as far as traction is concerned I think you would be a little better with a G80. Someone correct me if im wrong tho.

--ben

·
Registered
79 Posts
Your wrong, the "G80" is a piece of junk. The Dodge unit will fit right in its place and is a stronger unit that will give better overall performance.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I thought that dodge's setup was a little better.
Joe (friend) can always light'em up and slid around corners and like i said his truck is a 2000 where mine is newer and my G80 works very little.
Anyone on here do the swap?

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any suggestions as to where I should look for a trac-rite for a reasonable price or what would be a reasonable price?

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
Randy's ring and pinion has the trac rites, but I would pull your cover first to see what you broke. Sometimes the governor gear is all that breaks.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Is their any aftermarket locker that can be but into our rear ends, I broke my G80 (just trust me on that one) and will be putting 38" on it. I want a locker since I will be pulling a trailer and don't want to get stuck in the sand.

·
Registered
79 Posts
There are no other (lockers, posi, or spool) availible right now. I can get anyone on the board a good deal on the trac rite. Just shoot me a PM.

BTW: I work at Randy's Ring & Pinion..

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
i did the AAM locker install last month, not to bad of a job in details, took a few hours in total, BD max has a few nice pictures of the job, do a search on my threads, you will find more info their, i bought mine threw Larrys, and the cost was around 500 dollars with new bearings, and reeses

1 - 16 of 16 Posts