Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can i use Schaeffer's #267 Supreme Gear Lube SAE 80-90 Sunthetic blend in my front and rear? I have the G80 Locking Differential in the rear, not for sure what the front is, Thanks for you help

·
Registered
74 Posts
Trainman

After a lot of research, and I mean a lot, I decided to use Schaeffer's 741 in both my front and read diffs. 741 is approved for extended drain intervals in Eaton diffs and is a 75W-90 full synthetic When used with the G-80 locker no additives are required. 267 is a synthetic blend - it may be good but I would go with a full synthetic. To be honest I have not installed it yet - that is planned for next weekend. From I can find Schaeffer's 741 is superior to Mobil 1 75W-90 synthetic gear lube and I like and use Mobil 1 products.

BTW Schaeffer's 204S and a deep pan are also scheduled for the Allison next weekend..

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Go with the 741, not the 267. The 741 lube is Eaton approved and synthetic, which is speced out for our trucks. The 267 is not synthetic.

You will positively love Schaeffers stuff, I promise

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, just one more question, where can i buy the schaeffer's lube? thanks for your help

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
trainman. I am working with a dealer for supplying Schaeffers. I have some of the stuff on my site, and will be adding more soon. The 741 is only avail in a minimum of 5 gal bucket, which is over what your gonna need, thinking of putting togather 6 qt packs so you dont have to buy more then you need...

·
Registered
290 Posts
dmaxalliTech said:
more then you need...

But then again, better to have more than you need than not enough. Long walk to the store from my house.

Schaeffer's is planned for my diff's and tranny when the time comes. Already use the 7000 Supreme and the 274 grease. I'm a believer.Edited by: HOOKEM

·
Registered
74 Posts
dmaxalliTech wrote: trainman. I am working with a dealer for supplying Schaeffers. I have some of the stuff on my site, and will be adding more soon. The 741 is only avail in a minimum of 5 gal bucket, which is over what your gonna need, thinking of putting togather 6 qt packs so you dont have to buy more then you need...

dmaxalliTech: I have an idea for you. Why don't you consider putting together a "Schaeffer's DMax Kit" consisting of:

2 gal 741 gear lube for front and rear with 2 qt left over

5 gal 204S ATF for a flush, deep pan add and transfer case

2 tubes of 274 for wheel bearings and chassis

I will bet Schaeffers would sell a lot more product if they packaged the stuff for automobiles and light trucks in smaller packages. In the meantime I think folks like you could do a good business breaking the larger packages down to consmmer sized quanti****.

I buy the 40# (5 gal) pails and 10 tube grease cartons and sell what I don't need to friends with trucks. Just an idea.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Good topic going on here. I called the technical support dept. at Schaeffer's. I asked him a few questions, and one of the question is which chassis lube to use. He said to use #221, but most of members here seem to be using #274. Interesting.

My truck have the pushbutton transfer case, but not with the "AUTO 4WD". According to GM owner manual, for truck with "automatic transfer case", use GM brand "auto-trak II" fluid. This part is confusing because I am not sure whether if it meant all transfer case that is controlled with pushbuttons OR all transfer case that have pushbottoms WITH "AUTO 4WD"?

If this term is meant for all transfer case with "AUTO 4WD", then does that mean I can use Shaeffer's #204S Dextron III ATF fluid for transfer case? Thanks.

·
Registered
473 Posts
wxmn6,

The Automatic Transfer Case is The Transfer Case used in the 1/2 ton pickups, Suburban & Tahoes. They have the Automatic 4X4 mode.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Got it. Thanks.
Now I guess I can use Dextron III fluid for my truck transfer case.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yeah, I thought so. After I posted, I did a bit of extensive researching on Shaeffer's site and it appears that the difference is that #274 is sythetic and the #221 is not, like you said. I will be going with #274.

·
Registered
290 Posts
DmaxalliTech-

Getting close to time for these fluid changes (within next 3 months). Please let us know if you are able to get the gear lube in the quart sizes ASAP. I don't mind having some extra, but I don't think I need gallons of extra.

I think Shark Bait might be on to something.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I have been shopping plastic jugs to see whats avail.. I have found them in 4qt size and 2 qt size, but no 6. CLosest I can find is 8 qt. Would you rather have 2 extra qts or .....? Figure if I go two sizes, then I can cover those who only want to do front or rear

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Myself i would like to have some extra, just in case i need it later on, so i think the 8qt. would be ok for me . let me know when you plan on doing this because iam real close to a change thaks

·
Registered
135 Posts
How much for a 5 gallon pail? Maybe we could do something like this at one of the fabfests. I know I'm going to be getting the MAG HYTECH diff cover so I'm gonna need some extra. With 3-4 rears to fill, that would be the right amount.

ROB

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Rob, I expect 5 gall pail to be around 140.00 for the full synthetic 75-90

I dont think I will be able to do the repackage thing like I wanted becuase of EPA issues. I am not a licensed repackager for Schaeffers, so I still have some red tape to do on breakign up the pails

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Don't forget about using the extra oil in mowers or brush cutters.

I use Schaeffers in most of my work stuff.

Any trailers w/ oil bath hubs, the Schaeffers will lower bearing temps, used it for 10+ years in overloaded semi trailer axles.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts