Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a bit of weeping from the rear end on my truck. I have the 6 lug, 2500 G80 axle. Does my axle actually use a diff gasket or RTV? I thought all used a gasket but now I am hearing differently. Also, does anyone have an opinion on "upgraded" diff covers they want to share?

·
Registered
187 Posts
They do make gaskets, but the majority of people just us RVT. Myself, RVT is all I use with no leaking problems if you will let the silicone set up a bit then torque the cover back on in a criss cross pattern.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Just had the dealer check mine. They said it was normalCensored . I will seal it myself next fluid change.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I use the "Right Stuff". It is awesome. Garenteed never to leak again. And it wont crumble like other silicone. Very similiar to GM's OEM gray silicone stuff. You will, however cuss me when you need to take the cover off. You will need a prybar and hammer. :D
http://www.permatex.com/products/industrial_individual_products2.asp?selectid=130&category=gasketing&oe_category=controlsystems&product=Permatex,%20the%20Right%20Stuff,%20Gasket%20Maker

Also, if you have the Gov Bomb LS...You willl need some Limited slip additive.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I use the "Right Stuff". It is awesome. Garenteed never to leak again. And it wont crumble like other silicone. Very similiar to GM's OEM gray silicone stuff. You will, however cuss me when you need to take the cover off. You will need a prybar and hammer. :D
http://www.permatex.com/products/industrial_individual_products2.asp?selectid=130&category=gasketing&oe_category=controlsystems&product=Permatex,%20the%20Right%20Stuff,%20Gasket%20Maker

Also, if you have the Gov Bomb LS...You willl need some Limited slip additive.
+1!!!

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
I have used Orange RTV on many diff covers never had a problem with it leaking or being tough to remove on disassembly, I just make sure to give it plenty of time to "skin over cure" before adding oil to the diff. John (NVTMNTLION) if you will recall that is the same stuff we used to use on the Waste heat boiler accesses on Spru-Cans, also used in LM6000 & 5000 LPC bumper bushings. GE 106 if you can get it, or orange Permatex

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, thanks all!!!

Turbine Doc, I know exactly what you mean! Thanks!

So are the aluminum diff covers worth having or are they just show?

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I've had luck with rtv and gaskets. have to use gasket sealer with the gaskets and then they are great.

Fancy differential covers are just that. They are just for show. If you don't crawl under the truck to shine it up, nobody will ever know you've got it. Maybe if you're running big tires and 400+ hp and you beat the hell out of your truck, you may benefit from an aluminum cover with cooling fins. Otherwise, if it keeps the gear oil in, there's not much to improve upon.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Well I went for less flair on mine with the as cast plain aluminum finish I don't show my truck I work it so a shiney cover wasn't what I was after, for me it was worth it to have the extra capacity, and ability to drain the sump without having to remove the pan, I do tow heavy so extra capacity should help there if the more is better, more to heta up logic holds true like the rest of the truck, I did not put a temp probe on it to have data so I can only go by mrfs word that it runs cooler with extra oil in it, also the thick aluminum case with ribs supposed to aid in heat dissipation, who knows I figure it can't hurt, and I could have done far worse by drinking up what the cover cost me at some bar.

Would I pull it just for pan appearance sake and hope of lower temps probably not, but I was installing a locker at the same time, so for me that was the right time to do it,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts