Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one converted their older dually rear drums to discs? i have a 1994 .
thanks eh
nick

·
Registered
483 Posts
If it were my truck I'd save my time and money, there's nothin wrong with drum brakes...........had em on my older trucks for years with no problems...besides 70% of your stopping power is with the front brakes anyway.....just my opinion.

·
Registered
209 Posts
yep, keep the drums

·
Registered
269 Posts
When I had my 94' I looked pretty hard at doing that conversion. I now have a 97' & it doesn't concern me as much. But when I was looking into it, the only way I found to do it correctly with the larger discs & not some takeoffs from an Eldorado & the such, was you cannot run 16" rims on the rear. The discs will not fit & it seems no one makes a kit that will fit the 16's. So there is kits that will let you convert to rear discs, but you have an additional cost changing out your rims as well. Also from having my 97' I have found it rather common for the rearend to be leaking fluid on the back brakes, so if your rig isn't stopping as it should, check the inside of your rear's & you may see some drops of gear oil on the inside rim or tire. IF so you will have to put new seals as well as brakes, cuz the oiled ones are now no good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts