Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my rear differential cover with a Mag-Hytec cast cover and switched over to Red Line synthetic lube.

Here's my photo album of the cover before and after the install.

Mag-Hytec Install

I should have done a write-up on it at the time.
If anyone is up to it, a write-up would be appreciated. We'll add it to the FYI forum.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
704 Posts
Very nice.. Where did you get it from?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hoot,

How much fluid do you run with the Mag-Hytec cover? (Stock + 1, 2 or 3 qts)

Did you have to do the axle vent modification?

JoeEdited by: Joe Pool

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Close to eight quarts total so you need to buy eight. Can be quite expensive. I paid $10 a quart for the Redline.

I purchased my cover from HERE

I did not do the vent MOD. No leaking in 50,000 miles. The cover is the ultimate as you can see by the pictures.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
165 Posts
Drop the spare tire (makes the work space much nicer), pull the diff. cover (after draining oil
) stuff a clean rag around the gears (to keep gasket trash out) and GENLTY scrape the gasket off the diff. case. The MagHytec has a neoprene gasket so you don't need another fiber one. Bolt the new Hytec cover up (you'll need an allen wrench to attach it). I did not have to do anything to the vent and put 30,000 miles on the truck with no problems. I used the factory fluid (from www.gmpartsdirect.com) shipping is high but price is good compared to the average dealer. Pulled the cover and reinstalled the original one when I sold the truck and plan to attach it to my 3500 when it gets here. MagHytec is also about finished with an Allison cover. They look good, cool better than the stock units (finned) but are pricey. I pull the dipstick on the MagHytec every time I change the oil. I am always a bit amazed by the junk that is attached to it. Gotta help the diff. to get that stuff out of there (looks a lot like valve lapping paste).

Good luck,

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts