Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the best type of fluid to use to get my rear end to lock up the most... i get stuck in the snow because of the one tire fire... it sucks!

·
Registered
382 Posts
have you ever changed the oil?
I recommend Amsoil Severe Gear Oil 75-90

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i bought it used at 117,000 miles, so i have no serivce history, what is good about the severe gear oil?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I thought all the trucks had G80 mechanical lockers? They are not clutch lockers like limited slips. Fluid has nothing to do with the function of our rear ends (other then lubrication/cooling). If you are having a 1 wheel wonder I think you need to get your rear end looked at.
ac

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
avc8130;1593270; said:
I thought all the trucks had G80 mechanical lockers? They are not clutch lockers like limited slips. Fluid has nothing to do with the function of our rear ends (other then lubrication/cooling). If you are having a 1 wheel wonder I think you need to get your rear end looked at.
ac
:exactly:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
If the fluid has never been changed on the G80 it can gum up the locking mechanism. I have seen fresh fluid free it up again.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
avc8130;1593270; said:
ac
I could have all kinds of fun with that phrase.....:lol2: Oh JUST KIDDING, DON'T GET MAD. I could not resist.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
I would pull the cover and see what's goin' on in there.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
66flh;1593938; said:
I would pull the cover and see what's goin' on in there.
:exactly: x2...

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
These lockers will unlock if you overspin them. They lock only at slow speed, and if you over spin it, it will unlock, and you will one wheel peel.

If I am not mistaken, these axles have synthetic gear oil in them from the factory. I would stay with a good synthetic oil if I were changing it. I would not go with conventional in it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Most of the 2001 Duramax Trucks did not have the ( G80 ) option like the 2002 and up .............. look at your glovebox SPID code, and look for a G80 ............ and then you will know for sure. ;)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
the rear will only lock up if resistance is on both wheels.

Dry pavement, one wheel spins, but is still resisting the dry road, axle locks.

Wet/ice... one wheel spins, no resistance, keeps spinning... lightly apply brakes to add resistance and both wheels spin. try it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
No history, assume worst

If you have no history, assume nothing was done. So drain the fluid, and add Mobil-1 synthetic gear lube in 75W-90 weight available Autozone, etc for about $6-$7 per qt, assuming you have checked your glove box and it says G80 option.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no sticker in the glove box, any other i.d.'s on the truck?

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Post the VIN in the Vin forum and ask for the build sheet.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Actually, I was just going through a turn a few minutes ago...punched the throttle and the inside tire lit up. The truck felt like it wanted to lock the left wheel...but then it just didnt. Nice cloud came off the right side...nothing off the left. Any ideas? 10k miles, fresh 75W90 synthetic.
ac

1 - 16 of 16 Posts