Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We finally have enough snow around here that we get to play a little.

Tonite while I was at WalMart in the parking lot, I had the truck out of 4WD. I noticed that when I would turn a corner (especially short), it felt like I was still in 4WD becuase it felt like the front was grabbing.

I played around with a little bit, and I finally decided that I'm pretty sure that it's coming from the rear differential AFTER I have went back into 2WD. I'm almost 100% for sure that I was totally out of 4WD becuase when I would engage 4WD again, I could here the transfer case engage (my transfer case makes a LOUD bang when it engages, BUT dealer ensures me that it's normal
). If I would drive for a while in 2WD, it wouldn't do this when I turned. In fact, I could do kiddies just like normal.

Is it normal for the rear locker to act like it engaged and making turning hard AFTER you've been in 4WD? That's when mine seems to do it...

cadman_ks

·
Registered
14,321 Posts
CADman-ks

My truck does the same thing, my friends'04 does it and so did my 93 Sub. I noticed that the limited slip gets over active when hot especialy on right hand turns. In the past i tried an extra bottle of GM's yellow juice(which is a release agent to unlock clutches) and it did not help. It will take its toll on the rear tires after a while. I guess i should just be happy that the posi works.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
verify your tire pressure to be within 1 psi the difference can change the tire diameter and aggravate the locker........My dana 60 in my jeep with a detroit locker will change lanes on and off the throttle with more than 5psi difference
daveEdited by: sdaver

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Mike L. said:
CADman-ks

My truck does the same thing, my friends'04 does it and so did my 93 Sub. I noticed that the limited slip gets over active when hot especialy on right hand turns. In the past i tried an extra bottle of GM's yellow juice(which is a release agent to unlock clutches) and it did not help. It will take its toll on the rear tires after a while. I guess i should just be happy that the posi works.
Now theres a mouth full ......

Eaton Locker info ....
The Eaton Locker

Availability

•Standard Equipment on Dual Wheel 3500 Series trucks.
•Optional Equipment (G80 Order Code) on all GM two-wheel and four-wheel drive light trucks and sport utilities.

Benefits
•Improved traction differentiates the vehicle relative to other rear wheel and four-wheel drive vehicles on the market.
•Functions as a limited slip differential during normal driving conditions; provides full axle lock when needed.
•Maintenance free; requires no lube additives.
•Enhanced towing and off-road performance.
•Patented carbon friction disc technology enhances performance and durability while reducing warranty claims.

Principles of Operation
•Wheel speed difference (left to right) in excess of 100 RPM will cause a flyweight mechanism to open and catch a latching bracket.
•The stopped flyweight will trigger a self-energizing clutch system, which results in the cam plate ramping against a side gear.
•Ramping increases until both axles turn at the same speed (full lock), which prevents further wheel slip.
•At speeds above 20MPH, the latching bracket swings away from the governor and prevents lockup from occurring.
Technical Specifications
•Automatic locking takes place within a fraction of a second, so smoothly that it is unnoticed by the average driver.
•Unlocking occurs automatically, once the need for improved traction is gone, and is unnoticeable to the average driver.
•Compatible with anti-lock brake system

Eaton

A Quick Look At How It Works...

We'll start by pointing out that the Locker is a speed sensitive design. That is, it reacts to wheel slip by sensing when one wheel is spinning substantially faster than the other.

So, when you're cruising along on clean dry pavement, the locker operates like any regular open differential.

But, as soon as wheel slip happens, going forward or reverse, the locker immediately kicks in. Here's how.

The differential is set up with a flyweight governor that responds to differences in wheel speeds, and disc packs that are mounted between the side gear and the case.

Whenever one wheel is spinning substantially faster than the other, the governor spins rapidly, causing the flyweight to open. That flyweight then catches on a latching bracket and the lockup process begins.

During lockup, a self-energized clutch system causes a cam plate to ramp against a side gear. This ramping action compresses those disc packs mentioned earlier. The ramping continues until both axles - and therefore both wheels - are spinning at the same speed. This is full lock, and it prevents any further wheel slip. (Note: Axle lockup can only occur at speeds below 20 mph.)

The entire lockup process takes about a split second, and is virtually unnoticeable by the average driver. When both wheels regain traction, unlocking occurs and things go back to normal.

Mac

·
Registered
812 Posts
Cadman, I noticed this summer after towing heavy loads the rear end acted like it was locked in posi. Just put it in reverse and tap it to release the cones. Seems to work for me. Now about the 4WD, after you switch to 2WD, the front axel is still engaged for a short period of time and will bind in turns until it releases.

Anthony

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aketay said:
...Now about the 4WD, after you switch to 2WD, the front axel is still engaged for a short period of time and will bind in turns until it releases.

Anthony

That's probably what it was. I just thought that when the transfer case was disengaged, you wouldn't be able to feel the front end biting, but I guess that it's probably the hubs being locked in, so it's still tied to the differential in the front...

cadman_ks

·
Registered
812 Posts
What part of KS are you in? I'm watching the news waiting to see how much snow we will get....

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Mine did the samething w/o any 4X nor sno involvement. In fact it was in July and I was making a very tight (to the lock) left turn on a large gravel shoulder area trying to get back on a paved road. It felt like my stock front tires was catching on the suspension. Inspection assured that wasn't the case and it just moderately herked and jerked itself out onto the roadway and discontinued when I streightened out. Speed, because of my concern, caution and confusion was 1 or 2 mph. Discussed w/our local group and consensus was the sharp turn causing slide slip/axeldrag combined w/large gravel likely produced the symptoms.

However, your experience has me wondering again. I did notice that my first differential drain was blackish, no grape smell and did have some fine silt covering the bottom of the drain pan. Only a couple of flakes on the mag plug. 4780 miles on the truck w/400miles towing small TT.Edited by: ShumDit

·
Registered
909 Posts
Sounds like the Eaton locker operating as it should.

When the Dmax/Alli was rolled out back in 2001 there was a traveling dog and pony show that displayed the Eaton lockers. They drove over mounds that lightened weight over wheels engaging the wheel lock, giving drive to the wheel making contact. Of course the competition failed those tests.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
aketay said:
What part of KS are you in? I'm watching the news waiting to see how much snow we will get....

About 30 miles North of Wichita.

We ended up with about 8" total...

cadman_ks

·
Registered
692 Posts
there are bullitens for 4x4 enguaging when not comanded
the bulliten has the tech replace the transfer case encoder sensor and inspect front diff. also the rear diff i recomend a break in service synth. fluid at 20k miles or so

·
Registered
42,913 Posts
I got a 03 dually, I don't think it came standard with a locker. When I jacked up the rear end and spinned one of the wheels, the other one turned the opposite way...

·
Registered
280 Posts
SaguaroKid, was the trans in neutral when you spun the tires? If it was in Park, they could spin in opposite directions. In neutral they should spin in the same direction for a posi type rear.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
SaguaroKid said:
I got a 03 dually, I don't think it came standard with a locker. When I jacked up the rear end and spinned one of the wheels, the other one turned the opposite way...

According to GM all the 3500's have posi as OEM. Not all posi's are engaged at 0 rpm.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
The Eaton rear locker accessorie code is G80. Check the sticker in your glovebox for the G80 code. If it's there, you've got the locker.

·
Registered
42,913 Posts
Well, I sadley to say, mine came with a G-14. Wish it had the G-80. I did get 4WD, so I'll see how it all works out...

·
Registered
42,913 Posts
Funny,
I was just looking at the Eaton home page and they also said the 3500 dually comes with the G-80 as standard equipment.I didn't get one, wonder whats up.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I noticed with my push button 4x4 that when I turn off 4x4 it takes a little while for the front to disengage. I think it's because the actuator relies on a spring return so not until the parts get into a "loose" condition will the plunger retract the sleeve.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts