Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

Went a minor road trip. Did a quick look under the truck for drip/leaks out of habbit and noticed the rear diff had a wet spot. Looked closer and found it was oil. Seems to be comming from the fill plug. Grabbed wrench to quickly tighten, and found it was already tight......:cussing:

First thought was the housing cover was warped.....

Any thoughts? Anyone have a similar experience? Gonna get into it the morning and change the fluid. Any advice?

Vent tube plugged?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just did a quick search and in another thread there was a plug seal that was mentioned.......:think:

Thanx Specialagent.

Need to go out and get some supplies for the job. Gonna change fluid, while under there.

·
Registered
800 Posts
You could try teflon tape on the threads.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx Ozzy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Their is a plastic maybe teflon seal on the back of the plug. I would replace it. Their is a possibility it may have been cracked.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx Fastattack.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I had the same problem when I changed my rear diff...I was able to crank it a bit tighter (torque should've been 24 lb ft) but someone also mentioned a seal that needed replacing, but I don't remember seeing it on the drain plug. Seems to be fine now, but will have to take a look at the next change. Didn't want to drain the new lube just to change a seal.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gasket/seal is on the fill plug.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got my supplies, yesterday.

New gasket from dealer (figured they'd have it of anyone) that they charged me $9.15 CDN for. Censored Including tax.

Will look into the job today, if the wife allows.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well.

Changed fluid and gasket. Using gravity to allow gear oil to "flow" into diff was like pouring molasses in freezing weather.

Gasket was slightly bent but looked alright. No cracks or other unusual marks.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Little update......

Plug leaked on me again. My torque wrench was unaccessable, so I guesstimated on tightness.

Tightened up quite a bit more and seems to be corrected.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You could try teflon tape on the threads.
I tried that on a leaking fill plug on a GMC Envoy and it started to leak again very slightly after just a couple of weeks. I took out the plug and it looks like the gear oil had dissolved the teflon tape. I am going to try thread sealant.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
I tried that on a leaking fill plug on a GMC Envoy and it started to leak again very slightly after just a couple of weeks. I took out the plug and it looks like the gear oil had dissolved the teflon tape. I am going to try thread sealant.
I've used Teflon tape on past plugs that have no gasket. Currently using it on my transfer case. Dex 3 in there, iirc. Aluminum and magnesium metals.

I just wanna mention something that it seems most folks do not know:

* If it does not have a seal like a washer, o-ring, compression fitting, flared fitting or ferrule, then the threads are doing the sealing and THAT is when to use Teflon tape or pipe dope. Don't use Teflon tape on plastic fittings at it tends to crack 'em taking up too much space on the threads. With plastic and fine threads you are better off with pipe dope.

Even with that said, there are times I will use pipe dope NOT for sealing, but to lube the threads and prevent them from locking up for easy removal later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts