Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered an interesting thing this weekend. We got about 5 inches of snow around the area and when pulling into my drive that has ice under the snow it was very noticable that my front breaks are skidding on the ice and the rear once are not? I was not sure if this was under low speeds to when all things were safe I tried it at higher speeds and the same thing happened. The fronts grab it seems way before the rears.

Should it not all be balanced to stop at a whole instead of the fronts doing much of the work?

Also, if this is a problem what does someone do to fix?

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Pretty much since the beginning of time (well, not really..but you get the point).... All vehicles have a distributed braking system where more braking is done by the front wheels than by the rears. For the most part, the majority of vehicles have more weight on the front and thus have better tire to road contact == greater braking can be applied. The opposite is true for the rear...it's lighter and if you apply the same force you would be locking up your rear tires are almost every stop (wet or dry pavemaent).

Make sense?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, makes sense.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts