Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
15000 miles on my 2002 3500 and my rear brakes are completely shot! Called up the criminals at the dealer and got a price for new brakes list at 250 my price a bargian at 175..... i flipped...... WTF 175 every 15k i should of stuck with my 1500 it only used 60 in brakes evey 15k...... this sucks who else riding in the same boat?..... as far as i can tell no one make them but delco..... what a ripoff.... no worry of injectors here there gonna get mine on brakes.... by 150k ill have spent 1750 on rear brakes alone.....

signed

I.M. Vented

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
chevmeister said:
15000 miles on my 2002 3500 and my rear brakes are completely shot! Called up the criminals at the dealer and got a price for new brakes list at 250 my price a bargian at 175..... i flipped...... WTF 175 every 15k i should of stuck with my 1500 it only used 60 in brakes evey 15k...... this sucks who else riding in the same boat?..... as far as i can tell no one make them but delco..... what a ripoff.... no worry of injectors here there gonna get mine on brakes.... by 150k ill have spent 1750 on rear brakes alone.....

signed

I.M. Vented
Might be something wrong Shaun. I personally have never had to replace rear brakes at those intervals on any vehicle. The fact that you have done the same on two different trucks points to driving habits or a mechanical problem. I'm still on orig brakes at 62,000 miles.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts

That's crazy and next to impossible without having a serious drag present ...

If it was mechanical like say a bad apportioning block the brakes would be real touchy especially in the rain, ditto with calipers hanging up ...

Who made the call and what was your symptoms ....??

I would pull the rears and inspect and replace on my own if need be ...

Mac

·
Registered
540 Posts
I usually get somewhere between 50k and 75k for rears brakes on any vehicle I drive. Front brakes should wear out at least twice as fast as rears. If your getting 15k and this is on more than 1 vehicle you need to investigate how you drive.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well the 1500 was front brakes... plus i was pulling the same 7500# trailer every day... the 3500 i might have power braked it once or twice, but no where near like mac does..... just changed them tonight and truck slides the a$$ every time i jump on the brakes..... never did it before... calipers moved freely but the pads are a PITA to change... drivers inside pad was the worst... outside had some meat.... pass was bout half or so...... leaning toward mechanical problem....

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Trailer 7500# , your truck I am guessing is close to 7000#. Everyday and everytime you brake it stoping 14,500#...and if you are running around town and not the highway...the brakes are not that heavy duty no matter how much they boast. Not a good deal for you.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nowake200 try 8000 truck only...... used to park my tractor at a quarry.... truck tools and me 8k most i weighed it at was 16860 with some extra attachments on the trailer...... guess its normal...... this truck is expensive to keep..... still gonna hit the dealer and let them check it out....

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
chevmeister, that is a heavy rig!! These trucks do get expensive, hit the dealer up for sure that is what they are there for. Good luck

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my 1/2 ton was 6200 light 6600 GVW....... anyone see a trend? guess i shouldn't carry 2 full sets of tools?Edited by: chevmeister

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
HD stands for "Heavy Duty" it should mean the entire truck and parts are HEAVY DUTY. It is a work truck that has been dressed up for the new generarion truck owners(soccer moms)...but still it is a work truck. You should be able to carry as many tools that you need to do your job again you truck is your tool also.

Good Luck

·
Registered
692 Posts
sounds normal for the rear with the weight. sucks but normal. go aftermarket see if you can get a more heavy duty pad. also i beleave ther is a bulliten ot install larger mud flaps stock are causing mud and debri to hit caliper assy and causing pad wear.have a hard time seeing how the dealer woud not take a look. but it sound normal.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried to get afterarket pads..... noone makes them.... i tried many outlets everyone I know of and then a few I looked up in the book..... Will do some searching again in 15k..... i have been checking my trailer more often to make sure the brakes are working..... let them stop it there cheap!

·
Registered
98 Posts
On TDP there was a post on Hawk pads.Sounded pretty good.

·
Registered
110 Posts
03 2500HD

Powerslot Rotors PN

Front 8692 PSL, 8692 PSR

Rear 8691 PSL, 8691 PSR

Hawk Pads. There is the HPS and the HPS SD.

Front HPS- HB322F.717

Rear HPS-HB323F.724

Front HPS HD-HB322P.717

Rear HPS HD-HB323P.724

http://www.raceshopper.com had the cheapest prices and shipping for me on March 24, 2004

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Have you checked your trailer brakes? If they are out of adjustment or not working properly, this will add significantly more load, (wear), to your tow vehicle brake system.
If they’re electric, is your brake controller adjusted properly? Dexter recommends adjusting their electric brakes, (adjusting the star wheel through the brake backing plate access hole), every 3K miles.
Just a few thoughts.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
They should not have wore out this quick, I have 82,000+ on mine and rear brakes are at least 50%. It sounds like you have a caliper sticking. Uneven wear on one side is usually the caliper.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts