Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to put a 4.10 axle in my van. Will a full float model out a truck fit? What are the wheel mount to wheel mount surface measurements of a full float? What are the spring perch measurements? Is the pinion length any shorter or long? Any hard information welcome. Thank
Todd

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Answer is no, not without a lot of work.

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
Can't you just change the ring and pinion or is the carrier not large enough?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After extensive research, no an axle out of the truck will not fit in the van. Found out that our vans use a 12 Bolt Rear Not a 14bolt. And the frame/spring perch width is much wider on the van.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have a fantasy of putting a Quadrasteer axle out of an older Suburban into my van, so it is not going to work? What is "a lot of work"? I bought a Quadrasteer front-crashed truck already :)

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I have a fantasy of putting a Quadrasteer axle out of an older Suburban into my van, so it is not going to work? What is "a lot of work"? I bought a Quadrasteer front-crashed truck already :)
That may work, the quad steer trucks had a much wider rear axle than regular trucks.

·
Registered
305 Posts
So I'm in research stage for the steerable rear axle swap. Here is some info on the Quadrasteer rear axle from a 2004 Suburban 2500:

- the spring perch distance is 2" more than on the vans.
- the shock absorber mount distance is the same
- center of axle to pinion distance is the same.

So the driveshaft and shocks should mount with no modifications required, the main problem is the spring perches.

That axle is a very complicated thing, and you cannot really weld on some new aftermarket perch. As you can see, the bracket for the U-bolts is integrated with the wheel steer mechanism. The van springs would drop right in between of those 2 pads, being 1" short on each side.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Looks like one of the inner tie-rods needs a bit of fixing...

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Cut them off and weld on a new pair. You just need a good welder who knows how to weld cast. Preheat it and use the right wire or rod and wrap it to cool slowly.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Your going to have to custom fit everything obviously, but maybe you can keep the existing pad and fab up the new pad to butt up to it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yes it needs the tie rod replaced but not until it's installed and working!

This is the van spring perch set up:

(this is a pic of 1999 but current vans are still the same)

Joey -
I cannot really visualize an elegant solution on how to get this done. I can see a new pad being somehow welded on top and me drilling new hole for the outer U-bolt side and using some iron shims for the inner, but that scheme doesn't inspire much confidence. I'm doing lots of loaded cross-country towing. May be some genius spring offset kits exist out there. May be you can elaborate further with a drawing. If I cannot get it done nicely, I will not do this.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I have no idea how to draw something up and put it on here.
Get out your grinder and cutoff wheel and remove all the stuff in your way then weld a new perch where you need it. If it's 2" to wide it's only 1" per side and I can't tell if it will put it half on the cast and half on the tube or not. If it's to close to the edge you can get a pad made wider and let it sit on the tube and the cast outer. There are plenty of OffRoad fab shops in your area or even an online vendor who will make you anything you want.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts