Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced both rear hub axle seals on my 10.5" FF due to leakage. When removing the old seals I found gouges in the area where the outer metal part of the seal seats against the hub (both sides). It was old damage, but I did not think that was the cause of the leak, just worn rubber in the seal. They were pretty deep so I figured I'd put some RTV in the gouge to help seal. I did not put RTV all the way around the sealing surface, just in the gouge. Well, the new seals are leaking at the outer edge. I installed them with a press so I know they went in nice and even. Any suggestions on how to make sure the new seals seal over the gouge? Permatex? More RTV? New hubs are about $200 each.

Bill

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Use some jb weld, let it set up, and then use some emory cloth, and sand till flush with the original surface.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Ya I agree the RTV was not a good idea and maybe even made it worse.

Its been a while since I had one of those but can you maybe not set the seal all the way in so its riding on a different spot? Do they make 'repair seals' that put the seal in a different spot? Do they make a speedy sleeve for those?

·
Whistle Pigs Are Cool
2,460 Posts
Or do not press the seal all the way on, if you can do that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to be clear, the gouge is not in the spindle where the rubber seal rides, but in the hub where the metal part of the seal seats. Dieselmike, I think I'll go the JB route but also put a thin coat of permatex gasket sealant all the way around the metal edge of the seal before installation.

Bill

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
The brown Permatex form a gasket 2 should seal it. Wear gloves. It is miserable to get off your fingers

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more question, should I press the seal all the way in against the stop, or leave the outer edge of the seal even with the outer edge of the hub? Or does it not matter?

Thanks for the help.

Bill

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Whether gouged or not, use Hylomar blue sealer between the seal & bore to make installation easier, and to prevent leaks. It's easy to clean off your fingers. ;) It's also good on gaskets, particularly if you want to be able to break & re-seal them later (like a t-case, or t-stat cover).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts