Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody know what the rear axle is in the 2 1/2 ton or heavier chevy dump bed trucks? it has drum brakes if that helps. is it a 2 speed rear axle? and whats the gear ratio's?

·
Registered
774 Posts
We are going to need a lot more information.

Year
Model (C6500 or ???)

Depending on the year it could be a GM Corporate or Eaton axle. If it has rear axle shaft covers and splined (geared) end shafts, then it's corporate, with flanged shafts it would be an Eaton. I only know the older trucks, anything newer that 1990, I wouldn't.

You might check and see if the truck has a broadcast sheet or RPO tag in the glove box. Tags and/or stamping numbers off the axle may help.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'll check it out tomorro morning. i'm pretty sure it was either a 5500 or a 6500. boxy cab (what was left of it). its at a metal recycling yard and the cab was basicly destroyed, but the frame was in good shape. i'm having part of the frame cut out, 3/8" thickness c channel for some projects of mine and noticed the rear axle was still intact.

what i do know right now:
single rear axle
dually
hydraulic dump bed
drum brakes
had a solenoid attached at the pinion area, makes me think its a 2 speed
axle tubes looked to be around 5-6" diameter

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, got to look at it today (what was left of the cab). truck is a C60, 10 lug axle. year, cant find out. vin# was gone at both locations. axle shafts were covered, if that helps any. cant get into the remains of the cab because its been squished. couldnt find any numbers on the axle itself. the doors of the cab were the same style doors as my pickup.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts