Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to the forum. I stumbled upon it while searching for something on the rear end leak on my 02 2500HD. Looks like I stumbled onto something good. Anyway, I bought the truck in January and the day I bought it, the torque conv bolts backed off and trashed the conv and the front pump on the Allison. Since it was down for a month and I didn't get to drive it, I didn't notice that both axle seals were blown in the rear end. The dealership where I purchased it was more than happy to fix it the first two times
. Now the right one is leaking again
. All of this in 2000 miles. The shop that fixed it both times said that, in 02, GM made their axle tube ID too big and the axle seal OD too small and had to put in an "adapter" ring so it would work and that mine were broken both times. Is this right? I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem before I tear into it myself. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Welcome to the forum ....

Never heard that excuse before and between you and me sounds like total BS ...

The rear axle seals will weep a little .....I have no idea how bad yours is leaking .... If their leaking bad normally the E brake and braking in general will be compromised ...

Mac

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. It is leaking bad enough to sling oil off of the tire and make a mess. I havent really noticed the brakes being any different. I am going to change it myself and see what the problem is. I think they messed up the seal putting it in. Besides, I want to see this ring they talked about. I will let you know what I find when I find it. It may be a few weeks.

Mike

·
Registered
233 Posts
DuraMike -

Nice handle...

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I had two cracked spindles...........one on each side got a new housing the drivers side was cracked from 7 oclock til 2 oclock....could have been bad mine is a 02

1 - 5 of 5 Posts