Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have a slight leak on the drivers side, rear axel seal on my 2001 2500 HD. I know if I have to ask...........anyway, Is it much of a job removing the rear disk brakes and getting the axel out to replace the seal?? GM Mr Goodwrench want $220. I was trying to determine if this is a good price or a do it myself project. Thanks in advance for any advise.......

·
Registered
21 Posts
thats odd, i just had mine replaced as well...driver rear seal....i didnt even know it was leaking, smoke was coming from the wheel under hard braking and i thought it was a break fluid leak......turned out to be a rear seal though...it was under warranty.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I had same problem passenger side rear thought it was brake fluid. It turned out to be rear axle seal

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ditto same thing 2001 low mileage and less than 36 months on the road. Done under Warranty.

·
Registered
461 Posts
my 03 had 1000 miles onit

·
Registered
47 Posts
My '02 had driver side replaced around 20k - I think it's a common enough problem to try to talk your dealer and GM into a reduced price on it. They should certainly know it's a weak spot.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The 01 that I sold had rear axel leaks 3 times.2 rt 1 lft all before it had 20k miles on it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have never owned a Chevrolet or GMC truck that didn't have the rear seals leak, honest. It would seem like the seals on our full floater would be easy to change (i.e. shouldn't have to get into the pumpkin since there are no C-clips to remove). Maybe I am wrong. I guess I could get out the 5 volume set and look it up to see...

Tim

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Last truck I had done cost me $640.00 but it was drum brakes on a Dually

2 wheel cylinders, 1 drum, shoes, seals, and an e brake cable

·
Registered
663 Posts
My Turn..

After reading about rear axel seal leaks I found a one of mine leaking when rotating my tires yesterday. I noticed some oil on the driver’s side rear rotor and a sniff test indicated it was diff lube. Looking closer on the backside of the rotor revealed more oil. I currently have 25kmiles. Seems to be a common problem – luckily I’m still under warranty so it’s back to the dealer.

drivers side rear axel seal leak

·
Registered
692 Posts
very common on these truck.I have seen the hub seal leak and the axle flange seal leak.its not to hard of a job.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I have never changed a rear axle seal on one of my Chevys. I have a theory why that I will share. My 1989 Chev 1500 4X4 had both front seals leaking at around 16K. I wiped them off with a clean white rag. Besides the oil there was a lot of, what I believed to be , fine aluminum powder. I decided to change the oil and run it for a few days. I sold the truck with 109K on it with the original seals still in. I have changed the oil in both ends of every outfit in the first 2K every since. Later! Frank

1 - 13 of 13 Posts