Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok , i changed injectors in my girlfriends 96 6.5 a few months ago,started it up and there was this more auditble knock,so it runs fine just got this knock.i checked the injection lines,not touching anything.so i started cracking the lines and the noise goes away when i loosen the front passenger side one,so i then tried replacing that injector.the noise is still there:mad: . i've done all the checks that are suggested in other threads,thats why i'm starting this one. some one i know said the pre-chamber might be messed up? that make sense to anyone. anything would help?:help:

·
Registered
356 Posts
The timing for these engines comes from the shape of the injector lines. Could the line for this injector have been bent to the point of affecting it's firing sequence?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Put in some 2 cycle oil and see if it helps.(in the fuel)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks charlieP i'll check and for the 2cycle oil i aleady tried that ,but thanks though

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no one else, any more thoughts:confuzeld :think:

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Unclamp your upper heater hose, hold it up away from where it contacts the engine, try again..............

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Push down on the turbo heat shield. That thing sometimes resonates a loud knock sound.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Remember its a 6.5 not a DMAX. These things make alot of funny noises. Not saying that this noise isn't a problem but if you try to get rid of all the funny offbeat noises these things make u'll drive your self crazy.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Have you tried a rubber hose or wooden stick to see exactly where it's coming from?

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Equal cyl-cyl injection timing dictates equal lengths of the injector pipes and pipe i.d. - the formed shape of the pipe is dictated by the destination and available real estate.

Primary consideration is that no pipe touch any part of the engine - to prevent noise - and that no pipe is kinked\dented\crunched\smashed, to prevent restricted flow.

Fairly difficult to kink the pipes, as that 1/4"dia masks an inside diameter about the size of wooden pencil lead - required to prevent flexing\expanding during 2000psi injection pressure pulses.

Unusual noises can sometimes be traced to injection pulses in the pipes being amplified by adjacent components.

Two known culprits are the turbo heat-shield, and the upper heater hose, being of aluminum.

The passenger-side area radiates more clunking\knocking\ticking\clacking noise because of the extra componentry on that side - exhaust manifold heat shield, glow plug heat shields, turbo heat shield, down-pipe, upper heater hose pipe, airbox, etc.

Much like tapping on your desk with the pencil eraser, compared to tapping on a cardboard box with that pencil\eraser.

If you can't isolate the noise to one of the above, switch all four injectors from the other side to this side, or do a compression check.

Maybe the three injectors are matched, but don't match any replacement, where all four on the other side are quiet - swapperoo is acceptable diagnosis method.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks gmctd, i know its not a dmax but being in construction and around plenty of 1 tons with 6.5s none have had that loud of a knock.As soon as the weather is a little warmer i'll start looking again

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats now my girlfriend doesn't hear the noise:rotflmao:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Defective injector maybe? Were these new or rebuilds?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
they where both new, the new one and the new new one:mad:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts