Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my 1999 Powerstroke Superduty last year and now I'm ready to purchase a new diesel pickup. I have no real brand loyalty so I'm looking at all makes. Just how happy are you with your choice of the GM Duramax/Allison combination. Would you purchase it again over the Ford and Dodge. Are there any major improvements or changes coming in the near future that I should wait for before buying? I am looking to buy a 2500HD 4x4. Any opinions or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks Brian

·
Registered
398 Posts
Very happy with mine, I would buy the same truck again in A heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I went from an 85 6.2 to an 03 Dmax and had no idea just how awesome these trucks are. I endured a lot of cr*p from my Furd buds with their PS's and couldn't relly refute their claims til the Dmax. Now they are where I was, speechless!!

Would I do it again, yep but sooner!!!

If you haven't already seen it, theirs a few changes to the 04 engine. Previous was an LB7, new ones will be LLY. You can search threads for comments on the LLY. They should be on the lot by now but there are probably many LB7's still out there too. The LB7 is a known, the LLY should be an improvement but you never know. You will have to decide what you're comfortable with.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I'm thrilled with mine.

When you go out and do some test drives, think about a couple things:

1) You probably will never have this in CA, but make sure the engine/tranny are good and hot (where the tranny gets into lockup) before you form an opinion. Out here in old cold PA, it takes a good ten minute warmup followed by 5 miles on the interstate to get TC lockup. Before that, the Allison feels like a big goony rubber band; crappy throttle response. That condition can make a Dmax seem kinda weak. Mine gets a whole better attitude when she's hot. I have heard guys in the other camps say "I was totally unimpressed with testdriving the Dmax" and I've always wondered if they were just dilly dallying around and never got it all riled up. My truck hardly builds heat at all just idling. My wife's Caravan spanks it ass in this department....tons of heat in 5 minutes on hers.

2) You might want to drive someone's Dmax truck with an added Juice box. For $600 it offers such a night and day difference. I can hear/feel the thing come on (doesn't come on until it's hot, see above) and it's rather dramatic. I run the 75 HP setting and people that ride with me are like, "holy sh*t!" If you want to know what a Dmax will do, run one that's Juiced.

Just my $0.02. You can read elsewhere about the generally good reliability of a Dmax, although the improvements on the updated engine are yet to be proven. But IMHO there are no major mechanical design flaws on this truck, and relatively minor upgrades (2nd fuel filter) seem to be very effective in removing the remaining problems here and there.

A guy at work has an '03 Dodge and really likes it, and I think it'll be a good runner; the powerplant is proven. Dunno about their new automatic, have heard nothing bad, but it hasn't been out terribly long. The 6.0 Fords, although a lot of guys will say they're totally fixed, I'm not sure. There is just too much negative chatter still, and personally I would be gunshy until I hear all the '04s are doing well. I'm not convinced they don't have some design flaws that they're attempting to bandaid with software reflashes, etc. On the plus side, the ones that do run, their supporters say they run like demons.

Form your own opinions, it's your investment.

Happy trucking....Mat

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought a 04 Kodiak and the tranny locked up in 2nd and reverse only. Cause unknown at this time but I was the fifth this month according to the tow driver that GM sent to me when I called the customer emergency road service in the manual. I will advise cause and corrective action when I get my ride back.

I wanted to post this for your information and consider it when making your purchase. I would still buy this truck again.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My truck is great. Compared to a 95' gasser. One of the posts above said to drive one that is juiced. These simple boxes will wake the truck up big time. I originally wanted a Dodge. Am I sorry with this one, no way. Love the room of the crew cab with the kids.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I love my Dmax/Ally. Instead of telling you the same thing that everyone else has (DITTO, by the way), I will tell you why I didn't buy the Ford or Dodge:

Ford: New 6.0L problems, 1985 interior, HUGE turning radius - I live in an urban area.

Dodge: Plain and simple the back seat of the Crew Cab was too small. Not the legroom so much as that they made the seatback VERY upright in order to squeeze in a bit more legroom. Also, the front seats were very uncomfortable to me.

I guess I will tell you the main things I like about the Chevy too...

1. It was rated to tow more.
2. I like the bucket seats and full center console in the front seats. You can get this on the Ford, but you have to pay through the nose for the "King Ranch" package.
3. The BOSE stereo and XM kicks butt.
4. driving impression. It just feels good to drive. The Ford "feels" huge, the Dodge feels like a brick on a roller skate. My wife was instantly comfortable driving the Chevy (that could be a good or bad thing!), whereas she was not with the Ford and Dodge.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Kodiak- I did a google search on your Monroe Kodiac. Goodness Gracious! If you don't mind us asking, how many digits does the sticker price have??? That's a piece of work!

·
Registered
570 Posts
I had been shopping for two years before I decided to order a truck. here is why I ordered my Duramax.

1. My brother is a Dodge guy from way back in high school and just bought the 1500 HEMI that is very cool. However I wanted a diesel, so I talked to one of the service writers at the local Dodge dealer and asked him about the Dodge 2500 with the diesel and auto trans. He told me he's been in the service dept for 15 years and he is a Dodge fan but has seen a lot of transmission problems. He asked if I looked at the Duramax yet? I said no it was not an option but why do you ask? Go look at them trust me. Since I had more than a few people complain about the Dodge Transmissions, I went and looked at the Chevy and GMC CrewCabs.

2. I also know a few guys that have the new PowerJoke and live at the dealer. One of them even received a new replacement truck from the dealer. Now that truck is in the shop for the forth time. After seeing all the problems these two guys are having I ran. Each had the older PowerStroke with no problems.

Now I know not all trucks are perfect and out of the Big Three each have good and bad, but my choice is the GM even though I don't have it yet. To me it just seemed to fit me and offer more than the others. Plus the CrewCab seems to have the most room and that was one of the major factors on not picking the Dodge.

Good luck in your choice.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm a former 2000 PSD owner (and many before that) and loved my Ford. It had issues that I couldn't deal with anymore and I jumped ship. Can't help but love the looks of the Ford, but I have to admit that this is a better work truck so far. The power took awhile to show it's self but it rips now. My only beef is it sits alittle low and has small tires. Stereo is better, brakes are 200% better, handles better, great ride, hauls better....for real (I wouldn't have believed it), tranny is unreal. I still like the interior of my Ford alittle better, fold down arm rest worked better. I'd buy another one in a minute.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I would make the same choice again. I like the Dodges okay, but while the basic Cummins configuration has been around since internal combustion was invented, the new variant uses the same high pressure injection system as the Duramax. If there is going to be a problem with either engine it is likely to be there. The Allison is a terrific transmission and why would you want a four speed when five is the current state of the art? Don't know much about the Fords, and from the reports, neither does Ford. I like the IFS 4wd system. I know that ultimately it is not as robust as a solid axle. But, if I want to do real 4 wheeling I'll get a jeep. The bucket seats are the most comfortable I've ever sat in. I like the way it drives. I like the way it sounds. I find that although I can drive in in complete comfort at very high speeds, I tend to slow down because I don't want the trip to be over.

I'd definitely buy one again.

TC

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'll keep it simple. Yes I like it and would buy a Duramax again and no I haven't had any problems with it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
This truck is the best driving, riding, handling, performing, looking [IMHO] truck I've ever owned. I enjoy driving it as much as I did the muscle cars of the 60's/70's!!!!!!
PLUS the looks it gets from Furd or Dudge owners are simply unreal!!! They just drool all over themselves! Good Luck!-------Phil
04 RED SILVERADO 2500HD 4x4, C/C, D/A, S/B, LINEX, B&W HIDE-A-BALL TRAILER HITCH PLUS EVERY OPTION OFFERED BY CHEVY!!!!

edited to remove dashes ----- scrolling issueEdited by: hoot

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm new to the D/A after 2 Power Strokes (if it weren't for the 6.0 I might have looked at another). I now know this, if the PSD and D/A trucks were both equal in reliability and performance I would choose the Chevy. Edited by: EXPSDOWN

·
Registered
1 Posts
I traded an '01 PSD for the '02 D/A. Both basically configured the same. Automatic, CrewCab SB, top-of-the line trim. I've never looked back. This is the first GM product that I've owned since 1969. At that time, I said I would never own another GM. This one has been a pleasant experience. As far as Dodge goes -- I've made it almost to my 65th birthday without one. Believe I can make it the rest of the way! Great engine, but I'd hate to buy the truck just to get the engine. Yes, I like the Chevy D/A. It took us to Alaska and back last summer pulling a 30' TT and if it gets us back and forth again this summer, without problems, then I will say it certainly is a good truck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I appreciate all of you taking the time to respond to my questions. After reading your replies I feel more confident in purchasing a Duramax. Sometimes when all you hear about are the problems, its hard to form an objective opinion. Its good to know that most are happy with their trucks. Again Thank you, Brian

·
Registered
18 Posts
Folks,

Truck is back the stealer rep told me that this was a bad reason for the tranny trouble but Detroit told them to tell me "The computer got confused". Can you guys believe that, whatever it was is fixed now and they did nothing mechanical. I will wait and see.

nwpadmax,

The list on the truck was $55750 and the OTD was $52600 so i did okay with rebate and other little discounts. Some folks probably could have done better but I wanted it when I saw it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts