Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have WAP glows in my truck now, but have to send some back to SS Diesel for warranty replacement. I think I'll buy a set of 60g's and use the new WAP plugs as back-up.
How does this sound?
Will I be happy with the 60g's or not?

The 60g's are like 50 bucks on ebay :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I'm happy with them but I've only had them in for a couple of months. The only real complaint, if you want to call it that, is they sometimes need a little longer glow time. I haven't found that. Maybe it's something in the older trucks.

Dave

·
Registered
808 Posts
I've only replace 4 of the eight on mine with the 60g's so far so good, starts unplugged @ -26C. The other 4 are still 11g.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I put 60g's in mine and they seem to be rugged. However, I did have to fabricate a glow relay override to keep'em on longer. It just didn't like to start in the single digits. 'Course...mine has 267K on the original engine so...take it with a grain of salt.

I keep the glows on for an extra 10 seconds after the light goes out when really cold (overnight in the single digits) and it fires right up.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree!

I had a new set of instant heats from SSDiesel that I put in a year ago and as they failed I replaced them with 60g's. Works like a champ!!
After tonight work it was 16degrees and she started fine after 13hours unplugged...

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, looks like an easy decision. I'm buying the 60g's.

Thanks alot for all the help. This forum rocks. :) :)

I'm still going to send all my bad WAP glows back to SS Diesel for a free replacement. Walt seems to be a great guy.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Glow plugs come in three ranges - 6v, 8v, and 10v - there are no 12v glow plugs, as such.

The diameter and length of the resistive element determines it's impedance, which determines the current required to produce glow within the voltage range.

Some gp vendors supply the 6v gp's, labeled as 'quick-heats', some supply the 8v versions - you can guess which versions quickly burn open.

The Delphi 60G's are Positive Temperature Coefficient plugs, which efficiently prevents them from burning open while providing long service.

Mechanical construction is important to surviving repeated glow events - the shock of rapid expansion from cold to glow damages the cheaper elements, in addition to incorrect voltage range "spec'ed" for quick-heat.

60G's are smooth cool - /60G quick-heats are also cool.......when they burn open

·
Registered
808 Posts
glow plug price

That sure seems like a good price, may want to get shipping costs verified.
I got mine at NAPA for ~ $15 a piece (CDN), cheaper than the dealer!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm getting a set from Heath. 4 yr warranty!

·
Registered
299 Posts

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lifer;1563155; said:
I'm getting a set from Heath. 4 yr warranty!
The 4 year warranty sounds good..I'll give it that.

I bought the 60g's off ebay for 50 bones. Hope they last. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally got the 60g plugs delivered and installed.......I forgot how much of a pain in the a$$ that pass. side rear one can be. :mad:
I found that after testing all 8 of the WAP plugs.....NOT ONE WORKED ANYMORE!! This is the way it goes sometimes. Life is still good! :) :)

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These 60g's seem to pull more load from the batts. They stay on for the same period 3-4 sec's, but notice more of a voltage drain now.
It may be that my other plugs have slowly been burning out one at a time and I got used to the way it started.
Anyways, now it's all back to normal. Starts just great! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts