Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i cut the loom on the passenger side firewall so my block heater would stick out the front bumper a little so i could plug in my truck without popping my hood, to make a long story short the cord blew to the side and slid out into the fender well wich enabled the plug to drag the ground and dismember itself from the rest of my truck.

the past few mornings it has been ~6* before windchill so my truck has had some really hard starts. On my way home from work i swung into a local hardware store and purchased a male end to replace what i drug off.

My problem is that im no electrician and for the sake of my house and my truck i need some assistance on how to wire up new plug end.

if i were to guess i would say the 2 outside wires can be crossed with each other and it wouldnt matter as long as the center prong was hooked up right, is this correct? if not could someone please give me a heads up on how to wire in the new plug?

TIA

·
Registered
69 Posts
Brass (black) is hot, white is neutral, and green is ground. With a heater, you can reverse the hot and neutral with no ill effects. The center is probably ground. Try a continuity tester, the ground should also be grounded to the truck frame. If it's wired wrong, it should trip the safety circuit on a GFI outlet. It it doesn't trip it, you should be ok. Any outside outlets should be GFI. If not, you should upgrade.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Here ya go - http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/elect/accessories/ext_cord/end1/replace.htm
I dont know how you'll find which one is the hot side of the wire on the truck though...
I BELEIVE the wider end of the male portion to be the neutral. Here it is the wider blade or the prong with the rib on the outside of the wiring.
http://www.rd.com/content/openContent.do?contentId=17450
So if you can find the side with a rib, or white wire that is your neutral according to this.
SOrry i cant be more help, I've never used my heater before.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts