Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I am new to the forum and I am just starting my RCSB 1500 2wd LLM Duramax swap. I will try to keep updating with pictures along the way. I searched the forum and found a lot of information. Any “helpful” information will be appreciated. The donor is a 2008 Silverado 3500 cab and chassis regular cab 2wd. Cab and engine will be swapped onto a 2012 RCSB 1500 2wd frame. Just picked up the frame today , had the Dmax for a few weeks. First thing is to clean and paint the frame then start the swap. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please don’t comment negativity, this is my build and have been wanting to do this for a long time. I value everyone’s opinions but please don’t keep telling me to use the 3500 frame and cut it down, that’s not what I am looking to do. Thanks and talk to you soon.

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,956 Posts
That donor is in nice shape!

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
You may wish to also swap in a beefier rear end to go with the duramax. The 1500 diff likely isn't up to the power the duramax can put through it.

Looks like a fun project.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am new to the forum and I am just starting my RCSB 1500 2wd LLM Duramax swap. I will try to keep updating with pictures along the way. I searched the forum and found a lot of information. Any “helpful” information will be appreciated. The donor is a 2008 Silverado 3500 cab and chassis regular cab 2wd. Cab and engine will be swapped onto a 2012 RCSB 1500 2wd frame. Just picked up the frame today , had the Dmax for a few weeks. First thing is to clean and paint the frame then start the swap. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please don’t comment negativity, this is my build and have been wanting to do this for a long time. I value everyone’s opinions but please don’t keep telling me to use the 3500 frame and cut it down, that’s not what I am looking to do. Thanks and talk to you soon.
You may wish to also swap in a beefier rear end to go with the duramax. The 1500 diff likely isn't up to the power the duramax can put through it.

Looks like a fun project.
That’s the plan! Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brought my son to the shop today to help get the cab off of the short bed frame. Cleaned and painted it up, it is in really good condition. We had a great day and it is now ready for the swap. Got to teach him how to use tools and work with his hands. Next weekend we are gonna do the swap.

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,956 Posts
Don’t know why some pictures are sideways. Is there anyway to fix them?
I believe It has to do with space available within the post.
Try upload fewer pics per post

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did a little fuel tank work tonight. Plan on keeping the stock gas tank in truck and retrofitting sender from the diesel tank. Diesel tank is a lot bigger then the gas tank. The top of the sending unit and the fuel pump look like the same size. Removed both units from tanks and the diesel one is a couple of inches longer. They do collapse but doesn’t go small enough to fit in to the gas tank. So what I did was removed the shorter rods and springs from the gas pump and put them on the diesel sending unit. Now it is the correct length. I had to trim the locating tab to be able to clock it correctly. Only problem I may have is the fuel fill neck is a little smaller on the gas tank then the diesel tank. I plan on using the diesel filler neck but don’t know if I will have a problem with slow fill. I think I will be fine but only time will tell. Here’s a couple of pictures I took. The one shows the different size of the rods and the others show before and after pics in the gas tank.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts