Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok im not starting another which on is better thread, it is a comparison thread.
First, which one is supposed to be taller? For example, procomp lifts are supposed to be taller than other lifts. But which one is supposed to be able to fit a 35 with the most clearance?
Second, does the RCD drop down the torsion bars? Does the TC? Why?
Third, anybody with any problems on either of them, and how many miles on the lift?
Fourth, i am going to be doing some off roading (no rock crawling just getting to trails and camp sites. Which one would you expect to hopefully hold up better?
Fifth, do they both have a 1 piece subframe?

Thank you all the help. I unfortunatly cannot afford a cognito or cst otherwise that is what i would get but i do really want some hieght and something that I can still tow reliably with. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
i have the RCD and i have over 50K on it and haven't had a problem with it yet the one thing to look at also is the shock selection when you get your lift

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks jdugie, and you fit 37"s? Are all of your pictures with 37"s.

I also forgot to ask, are they "true" 6" kits or do they use cranking to get the full 6"s?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anybody else with any input? Please...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with either, I was in the same place as you, I researched every lift out there twice!!! It came down to Tuff Country or RCD (with my price range Cognito or CST are the top of cource) I ended up with the RCD lift mainly because of the Blistens included in the kit. I have personally seen both the Tuff Country and RCD kits on Hd's And they both look like quality lifts, they both looked equally as tall, But it has alot to do with CV angles, I plan on runnning 35" or maybe 36" but want to keep my CV angle relativly flat.

It is a hard decision it is a big expense any way you go, What I have learned from this and other forum, is almost every lift out there has it pro's and con's, I am sure ther is some out there but I have never heard of anyone having seriuous malfunctions with any of the lift components other that factory steering parts which should be upgraded with any lift.

It may come down to price, If I could get either lift with blistens it would be a hard decision, RCD will stick the front wheels out a small amount more that the Tuff Country but from what I have seen not enought to be noticable.

Good luck with the search, I found it very helpful to speak with each lift company and download their install manual, It was helpful, esspecially when installing yourself

Good Luck

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
no i just got the 37" back in December almost all the pics are of the truck when i had 35" i installed the cut out fender flares to allow me to put 37" tires on but the thing about the CV angles is right when i had 35" mine were almost you would of had to put a angle finder on them to tell really but i think the T-bars needed to be turned a little but i tow alot and i didn't want my rear to sit lower i wanted it almost level but if you don't i would just turn the bars a little to get the truck a little more level i was in the same boat as you when i was looking for a lift i wanted a good lift but didn't have the funds for the cognito so the next best one IMO is the RCD it comes with the bilstein shocks and if you are going to do the work yourself it isn't that hard i wish now that i had done it myself but time just didn't let me

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much bigwalleye.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
does any one with an RCD lift have pictures of their CV angles?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
jdugie123;1555751; said:
no i just got the 37" back in December almost all the pics are of the truck when i had 35" i installed the cut out fender flares to allow me to put 37" tires on but the thing about the CV angles is right when i had 35" mine were almost you would of had to put a angle finder on them to tell really but i think the T-bars needed to be turned a little but i tow alot and i didn't want my rear to sit lower i wanted it almost level but if you don't i would just turn the bars a little to get the truck a little more level i was in the same boat as you when i was looking for a lift i wanted a good lift but didn't have the funds for the cognito so the next best one IMO is the RCD it comes with the bilstein shocks and if you are going to do the work yourself it isn't that hard i wish now that i had done it myself but time just didn't let me
:pshyco: wellsaidiwasgoingtosaythesamethingbutyoubeatmetooit.

Reineke has the TC lift and his sits atleast a full inch higher than mine with the RCD. My bars are cranked too level the truck out and IIRC his bars are not cranked at all.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
I have Tuff Country CV angle pics in my garage. The lift is excellent and the shocks that came with it are of decent quality. I have never owned a brand of Bilsteins so I can't really have a good comparison. I don't thing you can go wrong with either brand. The one piece subframe is pretty interesting and a good selling point. I have over 34000 miles on the lift without any issues at all. Before the lift, there were 13 threads showing on the Torsion bars adjustment bolt and we put it back to the 13 threads showing when putting the T-bars back on and under load. As noproblem said, my truck is a little bit higher with the Tuff Country vs RCD. Good luck with your choice! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I have actually been looking at Reineke's truck and Noproblem's trucks pretty much every day because I like them so much. I think that i actually will go with a tuff country and get a cognito brace kit and then a little while later grab some bilsteins and throw em on there. I am really concerned about the CV angles because, obviously, the longer they last the better. Also, it will be off roaded getting to dirtbike trails, so breaking stuff is not the most favorable situation. Also about the one piece subframe is really good too. Hopefully I can get this ordered and put on soon. This summer at the absolute latest. Im excited

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Sounds good! Are you planning on doing the installation yourself? I installed mine and it was a fairly easy install. I had 2 friends help me and we took our time and made sure everything was right. Cutting the factory subframe out and cutting the mounting loops off the front axle had to be the worst of the installation, just because once you do that, it's kind of the point of no return. The braces are definately a good idea. I will be needing to replace my pitman/idler arms and add the braces myself. When selecting a wheel you will need a +5" backspacing or less. I am running 4.75" of backspacing to clear the spindle.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just had a tuff country lift put on, I am running 5.25 inches of backspace on a 17x9 wheel. It is tight, but it fits. Looks great. The tires are not sticking out of the fenders....

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well if I can find a buddy who has a lift then i will be putting on myself. I also worked at a shop for a while that might let me use their stuff, possibly even the head mechanic who used to install lifts for a living. How long did it take you to install it the lift and also, what all do you have to cut off of the front diff? I have a cutting torch and a grinder so it shouldnt be a problem but i dont want to cut the wrong thing, the wrong place, or too much off. I think that I am going to run the stock rim with my 285's untill they wear off, which will look goofy but i gotta do it, but then i will get getting 17's or 18's and 35x13.50 for starters and see how it goes from there. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
bludool;1573200; said:
I just had a tuff country lift put on, I am running 5.25 inches of backspace on a 17x9 wheel. It is tight, but it fits. Looks great. The tires are not sticking out of the fenders....
What size tires? PICS PLEASE !!!!

From what I've gathered reading and looking at photos here, the RCD kit relies on torsion bar cranking to get the full 6" of lift.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
It took us a weekend to install the lift. You can download the directions from the Tuff Country website and they give a good idea about what gets cut off and where, and how much. The front axle housing is aluminum so a simple hacksaw does the trick.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Reineke. I really appreciate all of your help fellas. I cant wait to lift it.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
once you get it on you won't want to go back and so far the bilsteins have been the best shocks i have had on any of my trucks the last ones i had were some fabtech and they didn't give me a very good ride and on the truck before that i had procomp and they went out way to fast on a 1/2 ton. good luck on the lift like i said earlier i would do the lift myself if just makes you feel better about it not putting your faith in someone else doing the work

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just read over the entire instulation instructions on the tuff country website, and I have faith that I can do it myself with a buddy. The only thing that makes my stomach hurt a bit is the cutting. It did leave me with one question. Do I have to cut the front crossmember? It seems that it unbolts on the passenger side and then cut it off on the driver side. Is that right? Thanks for the advice. Screw paying 500 bucks to someone when you could do it yourself.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.