Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a post earlier about my low fuel mileage, 12ish around town, 15 highway, a few weeks back. I've noticed the truck, when warm, has a raw fuel smell to the exhaust as if I had just started it and it wasnt warm, but no excessive smoke. I bought this truck used, so I 'm wondering if there is something someone could've done to the pump/rail pressure to raise the pressure causing a higher fuel burn? What would be the chance of having a bad injector(s)? Any ideals are appreciated. I've tried other members suggestions of going easy on the right foot and that hasnt helped. I've actually noticed other cars behind me in traffic changing lanes and rolling up their windows due to the smell.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
It could be, have you smelled your oil? I would think it would throw a "CEL" if you had a bad injector? Or maybe because the emissions equipment is MIA?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have found on some other post that removing the converter will allow more of a raw fuel smell. I'm just trying to figure out my lower than "average" fuel mileage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
May take a look at you injection pump and make sure it isn't leaking. I had the same problem last winter and it was the problem. Think there was a few issues with these pumps failing internally.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.