Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago it happened once or twice for just under a second and never happended again and now in the last week it is doing it more and more. It seems to happen around the 2000 rpm range. If I give it some gas it seems to stop it. It will happen when I am just cruising or decelerating but it seems to go away when I hit the gas. Most of the time gray smoke comes out the exhaust at the same time but at least one time when it was doing it for about 4 or 5 seconds straight, tons of white smoke was coming out. I am not getting any check engine lights or anything. Idle seems to be perfect. Oh yeah when it does it under deceleration it actualy acelerates and when I am cruising it seems to lose power or surge. Do I have bad fuel or a bad injector or what? It is a 2004 with only 1600 miles on it. It really sucks I hate to let people work on my stuff because in my experience most of them are idiots. I used to mechanic at a Nissan dealership but I don't have any diesel experience and but from what I hear most guys at the Chevy dealerships don't either. Anyone know of a dealership with a good diesel guy in southern California? I would be willing to do the work myself if the factory would give me the parts but I know that isn't going to happen. Also from what I have read, I will probably be out of a truck for a week or more. Do I get a free loaner car if my two month old $40,000 truck has to sit in the shop? Any insight would be greatly apreciated with regards to my problem or a good dealership or what the policy usualy is on a loaner car.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
dont know any dealerships in So Cal. Loaner policy depends on the dealer. Your purchasing dealer should be the most helpfull as they just sold it to you. Dunno what that could be as far as problem,thats a wierd one. I wonder if you picked up some bad fuel?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the rattling is like really loud dieseling. As far as I can remember it was always with gray smoke but at least one of the time tons of white smoke was coming out. With all the talk of injector problems I was figuring it was like a sticking injector. I don't know if I should bring it to the dealer right away or maybe try some additive, or just wait until it is time for some more gas. I am at about 1/2 a tank now. I was thinking I might have water and I should try to drain the filter but shouldn't my warning light be coming on? I realy don't want to take the chance of a dumb ass mechanic getting a hold of my truck at the dealership. I hope it is a fuel problem. I just can't believe I can go down the road blowing smoke with a severe engine noise and not have a check engine light come on. What are the symptoms of an injector going bad?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had what sounds like the same thing with mine. It happened about three weeks ago on the highway at around 73 mph. She made the rattling noise and blew smoke about a dozen times and each lasted about 5-10 seconds. It was dark so I couldn't tell the color of the smoke but I know it was a lot because the cars behind me got out of the way like they were scared my truck was going to blow! The truck had only about 1200 miles on it when it happened so you can bet how happy I was! I hit the Onstar button and they ran the remote diagnostics and no codes came up. I called my dealer's diesel guy the next day and he said maybe it was bad fuel and to bring it in if it happened again. I brought it in any way and he didn't find any thing wrong. Now I am buying fuel at a different station and it hasn't happened again but I am nervous about it...

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
You know what? I do know somebody in So Cal that I would trust with my truck. He is Mike Calandra, dont know the name of his shop, I think he is in the LA area..

·
Registered
994 Posts
A couple of people have had good luck with MK Smith in Chino. PM Kent Tuttle, he can provide more info. One of the diesel techs from the dealership used to post over on The Diesel Page.

Another thought, both Diesel Tech and Mike L who post in the Power and Performance forum work in the auto related business' in the general Torrance area. Maybe they have some recommendations on reputable DMAX mechanics in your area (instead of Chino). Edited by: OC_DMAX

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I guess it turned out to be bad gas with me too. I got down to about 1/4 of a tank and filled up at a different station and the problem went away. Like I said in my other posts most of the time the smoke was grey but at least one of the times tons of white smoke came out. White smoke means water doesn't it? What could be bad with the gas to cause this? If it was just water in the gas, why didn't the water seperator fill up with water and I get an indication? Also did this probably cause any damage to anything?

·
Registered
2 Posts
KevinGuy,

Best we could figure out here was that it was water also. However, I had the tech drain some fuel from the bottom of the filter and there was no water. I also would think that if there was enough water to make the engine do that the water in fuel sensor should have gone off? Any way, I won't be buying fuel from that station again and I hope this problem never comes back!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was talking to someone about it and they told me that first the water/fuel seperator on our trucks isn't the best to start with and if the water is realy well mixed or dispersed within the fuel it won't seperate it. It only seperates down to a certain size droplet. Don't know if it is true but that was the explanation I got from someone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts