Diesel Place banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today, while cruising at 75MPH, my 06 LBZ starts rattling[knocking louder
than normal diesel]. I slowed down to 60MPH and it seemed to quiet down. Then when I applied moderate throttle pressure[no down shift], it dumped
lots of black smoke and I'm sure I saw some white or blue smoke too. I have no CEL's or DIC warnings but do have loss of power on acceleration with lots of black smoke also while accelerating. Pretty loud knocking too under acceleration. The truck has 25K and 4 oil changes. Any ideas as to what's going on would be nice to know before I go to the dealer. Loved the truck
until now. Temp and oil pressure were stable during all this. I drove about
50 miles with this condition.
One more thing. I was at 1/2 fuel tank level when this started.

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
703 Posts
sounds like the infamous EGR problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Egr sticking open. Wont set a code and dealer wont be able to find it unless they get lucky. Install a blocker plate and finger stick and be done with it

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And the EGR valve is on the back of block, right? I think I'll give the dealer this project.
Then at 36K put the blocker plate in. Funny thing. I reset the DIC MPG to check gas consumption when this happened and I got 21 MPG. The best I have seen before
was 19 MPG. Will it hurt to drive to the dealer or should it be towed?

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
And the EGR valve is on the back of block, right? I think I'll give the dealer this project.
Then at 36K put the blocker plate in. Funny thing. I reset the DIC MPG to check gas consumption when this happened and I got 21 MPG. The best I have seen before
was 19 MPG. Will it hurt to drive to the dealer or should it be towed?
If you're under the 3/36 still, call roadside assistance and have it towed. Mine has done this on a couple of occasions also, usually happened after a long trip on the highway. Start it back up and it lopes. Hit the gas and it rattles & smokes like an old cummins. These things have always cleared up and I know it would never do it if I were to take it to the daeler. No CEL either.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I parked it for two days and decided to drive it before I take it to the dealer.
Today it is normal with no problems, just like Saratoga said it would be. And just like
he said, it happened on a long highway trip. Think I'll try the search function for the
"how to" on the blocker plate. What a hassle. I drive 250 miles daily and cant afford the down time. Thanks for the info. though.

·
Registered
372 Posts
If you're under the 3/36 still, call roadside assistance and have it towed. Mine has done this on a couple of occasions also, usually happened after a long trip on the highway. Start it back up and it lopes. Hit the gas and it rattles & smokes like an old cummins. These things have always cleared up and I know it would never do it if I were to take it to the daeler. No CEL either.
EGR should be covered for 5YR/100k...emissions.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had the same thing happen to mine a few weeks ago. Took it into the dealer and they charged me to put in a fuel filter (which I knew it didn't need) They told me that fixed the problem. Well it didn't it kept happening off and on. Finally it started doing it really bad one day on the way home from work so I just layed into it to see if it would clear up. After about 10-15 seconds a CEL came on and I took it into the dealer. It was the fuel pressure regulator. They replaced it and it has been fine for the last week or so.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Free towing isnt though.;)

If it is a covered repair towing is covered.;).....however there is a $100 deduct on the 06's...which you would have to pay towed or not.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had a brain fart. It's an 07 Classic. Drove it some more and still doing fine. I read the "how to"section and found the blocker plate location. It's a no brainer to me. Why would GM dump all that nasty unfiltered burnt gas into a $10,000.00 flag ship?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Had a brain fart. It's an 07 Classic. Drove it some more and still doing fine. I read the "how to"section and found the blocker plate location. It's a no brainer to me. Why would GM dump all that nasty unfiltered burnt gas into a $10,000.00 flag ship?

EPA

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just wanted to chime in and say that my truck ocassionally does this same thing. I have had my EGR blocked since the truck has had 700 miles on it. It now has 7000 and nine months behind it and it still sometimes does this. I have had the dealer look at it and they do not know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts