Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not really sure what is going on with my truck, but it is really random. It started around the time that I began reading about people having problems with their j/a, so it might be related. First, I took a 300 mile trip and stopped. When I got back in my truck it would not start. I tried to crank twice and when it would start I knew that it was not just going to start if I kept cranking. I took the keys out of the ignition and opened the door (making the radio/edge/acc go off). Then closed the door and tried it again, if fired immediately. A day or two later, same thing, same fix. Nothing for a few weeks and then it did it again. It has been about a month since it has done it, but then today it did it again, same fix worked. I just wondered if anyone had any ideas. It has been too random to associate mileage, temp, or any other variable with it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The only remotely related situation I had was that my vehicle would not start in park. I have a '03 Silverado. I actually contacted GM Support one night while in the vehicle because it would not start. They were not sure what to tell me other than to get it to a dealership. I finally decided to try and start it in neutral. She fired right up. I forget what it's called but there is something on the transmission that will not allow the vehicle to start if this item is not in the 'park' position. I had some stick to get caught in this piece. Chevrolet put on a new one and it has been fine since.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Stock truck, no electronics mods? Edge had this issue and instructed users to wait 30 seconds if this occurred.

Genester is referring to the PRNDL switch or multifunction switch on the side of the trans. If this fails or is maladjusted the engine should not crank.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Bad injectors can cause hard starting when warm.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
There are a lot of diagnostics that will prevent a start. Cam position sensor is one, communications between the ECM, BCM and TCM will do it, too. Any or all of these could be affected by a weak or intermittent ground.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts