Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 L5P all OEM and original batteries (bought December 31, 2017)

Im an OTR trucker and was gone for 2.5 months. I'm home for a week pickup started fine and ran great three days later the alarm decides to just randomly go off on four separate occasions. So I went and had the batteries load tested and was told they were fine (12.6 and 87% charged to me thats not fine) my APU kicks on @13 in my big iron. I researched a little and found possibilites

dead battery in key FOB
hood switch
door looking switch

Im currently charging the batteries at home, but I'm still leaning towards a bad cell or battery or both. if thats the case I will have to replace both. Im going back out on the road again tuesday morning @ 4 am. I hope I can solve this issue before then. All help is appreciated.

Shawn

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I went and had a second load test and the unique (passengers) side has a load on it from somewhere. its reading 12.4. I have checked all the connections no corrosion and they are tight.

·
Registered
126 Posts
So I went and had the batteries load tested and was told they were fine (12.6 and 87% charged to me thats not fine)

Shawn
Not sure what you are saying or implying. 12.6v on an automotive battery is pretty much considered 100% charge.

With the parasitic drain from the computers and radio, just keep your truck on a battery tender if you are going to leave it sit for 2 months.

If I left my truck sit for 2.5 months and it suddenly had weird electrical gremlins, personally I’d be checking the wiring for rodent damage. Maybe a sensor wire got chewed off just enough to short to ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Shawn
Keep going with the battery charging at least overnight if not two nights for each battery. You want to measure the resulting voltage AT LEAST 12 hours after being removed from the charger. You can buy an inexpensive load tester for $22 https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-24338-100A-Battery-Tester/dp/B07FQ1G327/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=12v+battery+load+tester&qid=1591478147&sr=8-12 or you can spend a little more and get one that does more comprehensive testing for $31 https://www.amazon.com/Autool-BT-360-Battery-Testers-Diagnostic. So not a lot of money so that you don't have to go to an auto parts store and get varrying answers.

If you are gone for more than, say 30 days, I would also get a battery maintainer. Better to keep your battery up to snuff than to let it run down then boost it back up. Batteries do best when kept fully charged. And if your truck isn't where you have 110V electricity available, pull the negative cables for both batteries before you park it for long periods.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
You could also put the truck into 'Transport Mode' when you are away, to reduce the electrical draw.

2019 Chevrolet Silverado (New Model) and GMC Sierra (New Model)
Transport Mode is enabled by activating the hazard flashers, applying the brake pedal, and then turning the
ignition key to the start position or pushing the ignition mode switch with the foot on the brake for greater than
15 seconds. The mode is disabled by repeating the previous process.

The DIC (if equipped) will display Transport Mode On when enabled and Transport Mode Off when disabled.

For vehicles not equipped with a DIC, the battery indicator light will constantly flash on the instrument cluster when Transport Mode is On.

This feature can be used as many times as necessary if the vehicle is to be stored for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I disconnected the negatives on both batteries before I left out of the yard with my truck. I’m going to get a solar charger or some sorta trickle charge to maintain while out heavy hauling. Thanks for the replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts