Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see several places are moving the Rancho 9000's adjustable shocks at a good price. Given they are adjustable they seem like a better value for the money then the bilsteins that many on here rave about. Im all for the better option R or B as the prices are close. Has anybody ran both and what did you think? Is the adjustable feature really realevant for mostly street and towing use?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I am told the Bilsteins have variable valving that automatically adjusts firmness based on how much the shock is compressed/loaded. The Rancho on the other hand needs to be adjusted by hand. My best guess is that most people will never take the time to adjust their shocks every time they change the load so my vote goes to the Bilsteins due to the fact that once there installed you are done......

·
Registered
6 Posts
I sell this stuff and I will tell you that there are only 2 shocks that I would put on my own truck. It would be Bilstein or KYB. The other stuff is junk. Trust me I warranty this stuff all the time. I don't recall ever having to adjust a Bilstein or KYB for being defective. I am by no means an expert though. I just see what works and what doesn't.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did not see where the truck standard bilsteins were/has speed sensative valving. I think their dope said it was application specific. Yea I think the ssv vsv features are great but didnt see them described for the B's. ??

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
Bilsteins are good - but they aren't perfect. I've had two leak with under 50k on them. In fact one had less than 30k.

But then I'm the same person that had an Excel Red battery go bad after 18 months. That's why I don't buy lottery tickets - if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all!

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
I've had a handful of Bilsteins leak too, but considering the volume, that's very insignificant. Some leakage is normal/acceptable, but if they drip they are bad. Of the Ranchos (Monroe) that I have used/installed, I don't think any are still in service without having failed for one reason or another.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So any comments on the VSV Or fixed orfice nature of the B's VS the low pressure adjustable Ranchos9's? Quality aside that is. I noticed my OE's are leaking already with 4.5 K on them.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
My understanding is that the Bilsteins are velocity sensitive. What I do know for sure is that they flat out work great!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm no gear head, but I can operate a wrench. How hard are these to put on with regular garage tools? I know it sounds stupid, but is there a step-by-step guide with pics that shows how to replace them?

I'm sick of the harsh factory ride, especially the darn speed bumps they love to install here in South Texas.

·
Registered
663 Posts
The Bilsteins come with installation directions. A couple of wrenches, sockets and a torque wrench and you're all set. Everything is metric, just make sure you have the right size tools before you start. I thought it was easy, and I'm one of those engineers. :lol:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Any benefit to doing the back ones only?

·
Registered
954 Posts
i like my rancho's over kyb or bilsteins,and ive had all three.kyb being the worst ive had but last the longest and ride the worst.bilsteins are ok for regular driving but for all out towing heavy loads the ranchos rule,although i do have to replace them every 80000 miles,but thats what the lifetime warranty is for.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The one important fact, once you install them, you forget about them being adjustable. All the "adjustable" shocks I've purchased over the years (KONI, Rancho) I've never gone back to readjust them.

Think its more of a nice thing, than a requirment for 99.9% of us.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Front To Rear Pitching

I have a bad pitching or bobbing from front to rear on my '05 when pulling either my bass boat or my travel trailer. It's worse on bridges, concrete divider strips, etc. Which shock (Rancho 9000X or Bilstein) will do the best job in correcting this problem?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm no gear head, but I can operate a wrench. How hard are these to put on with regular garage tools? I know it sounds stupid, but is there a step-by-step guide with pics that shows how to replace them?

I'm sick of the harsh factory ride, especially the darn speed bumps they love to install here in South Texas.
No pics, but I basically followed advice in this thread: http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37154&highlight=shock+install

I'm no gearhead either and I had no problems - took about an hour for all 4. No need to remove wheels, btw.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Ive put the bilsteins on many trucks.I think the stock shocks are better than Ranchos.Ranchos are a lower quality shock next to the bilstein,and they just do not last.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Would like to see some more feedback Ranchos vs Bilsteins in relation to ride. I have Rancho 9000x's. I run front set 5-6, heavy spring (T/bar) needs matching heavy shocking. Rears at 3-4. Compliance over larger bumps all right. Not happy will jiggling over smaller undulations. What about Bilsteins. Thanks.

·
Registered
693 Posts
The bilsteins use a shimstack and piston design - similar to high end motorcycle suspension (that I disassemble and tune as a hobby). It works in a variety of situations without adjustment necessary.

Read throught this article...

http://www.racetech.com/articles/CartridgeForks.htm

And it will give you the general tech details of why a piston with shimstack (bilstein) is far better than a fixed orifice piston with adjustment (rancho).

jeff

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks dmax lover for info, good article.
Explains why Rancho's maybe give a more unsophisticated ride.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts