Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just kidding..

Rancho RS9000X's, fronts: RS99295, rears: RS99297.

I've had the rears on for a couple weeks and put the fronts on today. Easy. Set the rears on 4 and the fronts on 6. Definitely an improvement in ride over stock. None of my stock shocks were blown out (~16k miles) but it feels better none the less.

Still a bit bouncy ride on the front but I attribute that to my green keys and torsion bar setting at 2.5" lift height. It's definitely better than it was, just not perfect. I can live with that. Being a regular cab probably amplifies it compared to other trucks, having a shorter wheel base.

Install was easy, but the paint on the threads at the top of the front shocks interferes with trying to get an accurate torque on the nut. My passenger side would make the torque wrench click (15ft/lbs) before the nut even compressed the bumpers. Drivers side was fine.

Edited by: Camstyn

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Trying to draw a little flame?

I know what you're talking about on the paint. But then again, when I took a good look at what crow's foot I didn't have. I just said the heck with it and just tightened the nut until the poly bushing just started to bulge. In 25 years, I haven't lost a shock yet...

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Cam,

bounciness in the front is definintely the keys. I am at 1.8" and I still get a little bounce as well with the RS9000Xs. there are a couple of roads around here that I travel at, uhum, a little above posted speeds and it can get like riding a bull (not that I have, but good visual) cant imagine that at 2.5 inches though.

·
Registered
183 Posts
A torque wrench on shocks??? And I thought I was anal!!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Hell, I tightened my Monroe Reflex's with a 1/2" rachet until all that was left was me grunting!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Camstyn, do you have enough clearance for what ever tire you are running to back it down to 2"? I tried mine first at 2.5" and found it to be REALLY bouncy. Almost unstable to keep it on the road. I backed it down to 2" and everything is just peachy now. Might give it a try, you can always go back up!

·
Registered
665 Posts
I used the bushings, washers and ferrule from the old shocks,. That way the internal ferrulke stops you from crushing the bushings.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may try dropping the front end 1/2" just to satisfy my curiosity but it's really not that bad the way it is. Unless it makes a night and day improvement in suspension action I'll probably end up putting it back to where it's at now.

Drove the truck some more today, love these shocks!

FWIW the only place I notice the bounce is a stretch of 50mph two lane highway that has lots of dips caused by the ground settling underneath. It's a rough road in any vehicle, but my front end definitely bounces more than my van does in comparison (02 GMC 1ton cargo van).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts