Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of these? I just ordered 4 for my truck. I had bilstein's on my 01 and liked them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You know I likes em. Adjustability is always a plus.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I like the adjustability also,that was the main reason that I went with Rancho...

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just slapped a set of these on my '04 and WOW! what a difference. The thing rides anywhere in between a Caddy and a Rigid...you pick. I've tentatively settled on 6 in the front and 4 in the rear, but I might try 5 in the front on my way home tonight. It's an easy swap and well worth the money. The stockers only had 13000 miles on them and the rears were junk. You could compress it and it would jerk back out...not smooth. The fronts, you could hear fluid moving around in them and there was a large quantity of oil on the front left side...guess my fat butt overloaded them.

Be confident you made a good purchase.

·
Banned
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds good to me.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Ranchos 9000s on about 3 weeks,hell of a difference 5 in front 4 in rear when not towing. Real nice ride at these settings, 8 in front 8 in rear when towing, has real secure feel. this is on a 2wd 2500hd cc sb D/A.

·
Banned
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Banned
394 Posts
I GOT SOME........LOVE EM ..... WOULDNT TAKE ANYTHING FOR THEM

·
Banned
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Truck Add On's.com. They have a special now where if you buy a set, you get one free. So you are only paying for 3.

·
Registered
141 Posts
All you guys who have installed the RSX 9000's . . . did you get the shock for the stock 0" lift stock height or for the 4" raised height. I am installing the "now famous green keys" and I don't "think" this has any bearing on the shcoks, but then again, some have said it does. Just want to get the correct product from them.

The have RS99288 and RS99274 for stock height and the RS99289 and RS99297 for the 4" raised setup.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Diesel Master
1,858 Posts
TJ,

Cranking the torsion bars does have an effect on the shocks. As you lift the nose with the t-bars, you move the shocks out of their center of travel. While they don't have to be perfectly centered when at rest, if you get them too far out their dampening ability is impaired. This is the main reason why a truck with more than 2" of t-bar lift starts to get a very choppy ride.

I have had it both ways. Lift with aftermarket keys and cranked t-bars, and my current Rancho 4" lift. When I had the cranked t-bars I had Bilstein shocks. I put a 1" spacer under the top of the shock, which meant that when I had 1" if t-bar crank, the shock was centered. I found that I had an excellent ride up to about 2" of t-bar lift. After that, the ride became progressively more choppy. Unfortunately, no one seems to make a shock that is 2-3" taller than stock. Such a shock would work great with 2-3" of t-bar lift.

With my 4" Rancho lift and RS9000X, I have as good of a ride as I had with the Bilsteins, plus adjustability. I have found something interesting. With the Bilsteins on a stock suspension, when the suspension was at full droop the shock limited travel. While it's better to hit a bump stop before a shock runs out of travel, the plus with this set-up was the CVs could never droop so too far be put in a bind.

Now the RS9000Xs for a 4" lift have a lot of travel. So much that the upper a-arm hits the frame "pad" and the shock still has travel left. While this is better for the shock, it's bad for the CVs if you aggressively off road. If the CVs frequently go to full droop they can wear prematurely or even break--especially if you have a "knuckle" kit that has a steering knuckles that is much heavier than the stock knuckle.

The fix to all this is simple. I found that an 11/16" thick piece of plywood, placed on the metal pad on the frame under the upper a-arm, keeps the CV from binding. So I ordered some 11/16" x 1 5/8" poly bump stops. The place on the frame than contacts the upper a-arm at full droop looks like it was made for a bump stop, and all I have to do is drill a hole. I will experiment a bit and may need a 1/16" - 1/8" shim under the bump stop, depending on how far it compresses.

Reagrdless, I solve the problem of too much shock travel. I wonder if the RS9000s for a stock height truck have this problem?Edited by: afp1

·
Registered
270 Posts
BRUCE said:
Ranchos 9000s on about 3 weeks,hell of a difference 5 in front 4 in rear when not towing. Real nice ride at these settings, 8 in front 8 in rear when towing, has real secure feel. this is on a 2wd 2500hd cc sb D/A.

How hard or easy is it to change the shock settings?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Push of a button inside the cab if you get the super deluxe setup.

·
Diesel Master
1,858 Posts
TJ,

2" seems to be okay, and I have heard (no personal experience here) the 9000s for a stock truck will work fine. It's more of a matter of when the ride becomes to choppy, and for most rigs that happens around 2" of travel, and become exponentially rougher as you go above 2".

While the CVs will be at an acceptable angle and most likely have excellent durability, your tie rods will be rather steep. Nor sure how much of a problem this is, but you can get a kit that allows you to flip the tie rods to the top side of their mount, which solves the steep angle.

Also, see how far the shocks will let the suspension droop. If they let the suspension droop all the way until the CVs bind, then I recommedn installing short bump-stops. If the shocks "top out" before the a-arm hits its stop, then I recommended installing a bump stop to prevent that.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Trader Jack said:
afp1 --

Are you saying that the stock height Rancho shockis should work if I only raise the front 2" with the keys?

Hope nobody minds if I add something in response to this ~

The stock shock will work w/OEM keys if its the same fronts p/n as used on the 2500. There is a newer p/n Rancho has specified for the HDs that have a limited (less) travel and could affect the extreme performance. Understand travel limit is the only difference and has most of us scratching our heads as to why. Can't recall if its 3/4 or 1" less travel.

Contact the tech shop at samsoffroad for specifics. My bars are cranked 1.75" and using the originally specified stock Rancho 9000 w/o difficulties but not doing any rigorous offroading yet.Edited by: ShumDit

·
Registered
958 Posts
samsoffroad.com has the best deal by far, $219 for a set of 4, free shipping.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts