Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I committed the cardinal sin--I ran out of fuel on the highway. My on-board computer said I had 33 miles left. My A$$. I pulled off to the right and used Onstar. A roadside assistant came to my rescue in about 45 minutes (felt like 3 days while I sat in 96 degree weather).

He towed me to a Rotten Robbie where I fueled up. After trying to start her a few times (to no avail), I called my local GMC stealer who walked us through the prime process (bleed valve on fuel pump and pumping action required on plunger). Then, she fired up. WheeeWWW!!!

My question is, what could I have harmed with my irresponsibility? The truck has 8,000 miles on it. I'll never make this mistake again, but I'm worried I may have initiated a premature failure trend on my fuel system. Is there something I can add to my next tank to clean out my injectors or anything?

Thanks for the help.

~Terel

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
No harm done.

I wouldnt make a habit if it though...

I am guessing that you finally got it registered in this great state?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Manny,

Good--I was worried I'd doomed myself.

To you registration question--no. Still hassling with DMV. Nightmare!

~Terel

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bummer this should happen to anyone. Sounds like I'm not the only one who trusted the fuel light and fuel range indicator on the on-board computer. I'll make sure to keep it above 1/4 tank at all times now.

~Terel

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I see you have the Edge Juice, I wounder if it throws the computer off enough to give wrong info for the 'miles to empty'? I have heard of this happening before from the 30 to 45 mile range.

Has anyone had this happen without a power mod added to threre rig?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wake, Mine truck's bone stock.. no mods, yet I still ran out - with the DIC showing 22 miles left.

I'm a convert - when it gets below 1/4 tank, I'm filling it up - pronto.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I was thinking of you yesturday....40 miles to go and no light, on a small country road.
Lucky for me there was a truck stop at the end of it.

I wounder if they can reflash something to get the reading to empty back?

Good luck!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Bone stock dually 4x, "fuel low" light comes on I usually have 2 to 4 gallons left in the tank. Pushed it the other day and put 32.8 gals in the babe
. I usually try and fill up before the light comes on. Nice to know I got at least 22 miles before drop dead..... I avg 16 mpg
. that will go up when I get her back on synthetic oil
. Billy

·
Registered
403 Posts
Last Fall I took my Dmax (03) and my 25' TT on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I had filled up just inside GA and then drove on to P'way, which was like 100 or so miles further. Should have topped off in NC before hitting P'way, but it was late in the day and I wanted to get to campground before dark. I figured I could get fuel on P'way at the stations I knew they had. It would be expensive, I knew, but I would only need enough to get to my planned exit in VA.

Well, you guessed it, no diesel at P'way stations! For those who haven't been on P'way, there are mileposts like on interstate H'way.

I knew the milepost of my exit, and that it was only a mile or so to big interchange at interstate where I could get diesel at a truck stop. Using the DIC miles to go, I calculated that I would barely make it.

When I got to the truck stop the DIC said 8 miles to empty, and it took 25.2 gal to fill on a 26 gal tank! Now that's too close for comfort!Edited by: dirty old man

·
Registered
687 Posts
Well, I guess I'll join the ranks of those that ran out. The thing that really got me here was the light never went on!!!
I was trying to run the tank down almost all the way and then flip the switch to refill with the 50 gallons that I have in the bed. (waiting until empty tells me when the tank in the bed is empty by refilling twice). I was cruising along 70mph with the trailer on the back, looking at the guage (which looked empty) and the miles to go at 22 (for a long time), I got the stumble, blue/gray smoke, and death! Pulled off to the side and hit my switch, waited for a bit of fuel to pump, reprimed twice, and back on the road.

No real harm done, but why have a light that never comes on. Oh, and the real killer, when I cycled the key, then the DIC daid "low fuel level"
No SH#$!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was wondering if Terel and NC ran out because both have larger tires and maybe that screwed with your DIC? It does not fully come out to 22 or even 33 miles but if you get about 16mpg and figure 3% for the 26gal you are off by 13 miles. I don't know just a thought

TC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts