Diesel Place banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran out of diesel and then being the little helper that my son is poured some water in the tank after i put about five gallons of diesel in. i got alot of the water out but still get a light that says water in fuel. i pull over and drain the t valve and get a little water out but the truck runs like a$$. does good around town but no power at high speeds or above 2000 rpm. it seems like it is defueling but i don't know. i get codes 17, 18, 35, 54. any ideas. did something get messed up?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
any sgggestions for this problem?

·
Registered
55 Posts
It sounds like the water is still in you tank. You really need to get that out before you run it. The IP uses diesel fuel for lubrication. Water is a bad lubricant. I ran some vegetable oil with water in it and it wrecked the IP.

Drain the tank, shouldn't be too hard.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Fuel filter is probably saturated with water....you're gonna need to change it...maybe a couple of times. Apply power to the lift pump to drain water at the t-valve (without cranking the engine) keep draining until you have no more water coming out. You'll probably want to pour in some type of water remover to the tank.

How much water did he put in the tank?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there is about 3/4 of a gallon. i already drained the tank of the five gallons and the water as much as i could before i put new diesel in. after all the water is gone, will the truck straighten out and run right?

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,404 Posts
There are still water in the system. There is not too much capacity for the filter to filter out all the water.

May want to put Stanadyne or any additive with demulsifier so the filter can catch it. Have a few filter ready, everytime you can drain water from the t-valve, you have to change the filter. Because that means the filter is saturated with water.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So here i am on my third filter. Truck runs a little better but i'm getting codes out the ying yang. I get codes 17,18,34,35. Do you guys think the water messed up my optical sensor? Oh i have been putting adittives in for diesel fuel. It is made for diesel, could not find any standyne stuff oround here.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Keep going, I had a gasser that had water in the tank and it took a dozen filters to get it all out. It should run better and better until it's all out.

Look at it this way, your kid was trying to hook you up with some water injection.....he's a kid, what did he know? what difference does it make which end you put the water in?

:D

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Keep going, I had a gasser that had water in the tank and it took a dozen filters to get it all out. It should run better and better until it's all out.

Look at it this way, your kid was trying to hook you up with some water injection.....he's a kid, what did he know? what difference does it make which end you put the water in?

:D
Can you point me in the direction of someone that has had the same problem on one of these engines. I know it will take a while to get the all the water out but i'm mostly worried about the codes and what it is messing up. I'm wondering if these codes will go away after time, or will i have to replace something? I'm not mad at my kid, your right he was just trying to help out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.