Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a question. I am wanting to raise my front end to level the truck out a little more. How do I do this?

·
Registered
958 Posts
You can tighten the adjuster bolts on the torsion bars to get about 1.5" of height, be sure to get a wheel alignment when you're done though.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!!!!!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Be careful of how much "lift" you get using the stock torsion bar keys. If you crank them too much you're going to make your truck ride like crap. And that's the voice of experience talking...

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Jim, I had mine cranked six turns(04 Serria 2500HD) and my friend who did the work said the 03s can get 8 turns but the 04s only six for the ride. At first is gave me 2" now it is 1.5" with only driving it 75m. The ride is a little stiffer, I have read that adding a torsion bar key helps the ride improve. But some say it does not help at all.

Really confused

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
IMHO.

The torsion bars have some given rate of twist. If we put the truck on individual scales for each wheel we would record some given weight for each wheel. It takes some given amount of preload on the bars to support the truck at any given height. More preload = more height. If you raise the truck by prelaoding the bars you make the ride more harsh. The only way to raise the truck without making the ride harsher would be to go to a torsion bar with a "softer rate" and then preload to desired height. Your still supporting the same weight but as the softer torsion bar twists it gains less rate than the stiffer bar.

·
Registered
326 Posts
NoWake200 said:
The ride is a little stiffer, I have read that adding a torsion bar key helps the ride improve. But some say it does not help at all.
I would not be one of those people...

When I had my stock keys cranked up tight the front end had a pogo-stick kind of affect. It rode like crap too. And what made it even worse was I still didn't have the front of my truck where I wanted it to be. So, I added the green keys. Now, my front end is higher with only half the bolt on the adjuster used (as opposed to almost all of it on the original keys) AND it rides better to boot.

Except for a bit of a PITA to get the alignment right I think it's a great addition.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
JimWilson said:
NoWake200 said:
The ride is a little stiffer, I have read that adding a torsion bar key helps the ride improve. But some say it does not help at all.
I would not be one of those people...

When I had my stock keys cranked up tight the front end had a pogo-stick kind of affect. It rode like crap too. And what made it even worse was I still didn't have the front of my truck where I wanted it to be. So, I added the green keys. Now, my front end is higher with only half the bolt on the adjuster used (as opposed to almost all of it on the original keys) AND it rides better to boot.

Except for a bit of a PITA to get the alignment right I think it's a great addition.
How do the green keys give you a better ride? All they do is allow you to turn the end of the torsion bar farther.

Jim it makes no technical sense whatsoever. The keys don't do anything but hold the end of the torsion bar. They don't move during suspension travel.

This is really getting old.

With the stock keys.. you turn the end of the bar by screwing in the adjuster bolt. All it does is turns the end of the torsion bar.

With the green keys.... you do the exact same thing only the key has the hex hole turned slightly so you are starting in a "already turned" location and are able to turn the torsion bar more.

No matter how you look at it it's doing the same thing.... turning the end of the torsion bar and nothing else.

Now how do you get a better ride by turning them even more after you are already getting a pogo effect?

Maybe you are taking them beyond their point of elasticity? Who knows.

I have mine jack up as much as I can and the ride is good. Any more and the control arms become too far off travel center... meaning they will hit the lower hard stop too soon. That is why you get a harsh ride.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
958 Posts
I've got to side with Jim on this. My father and I have almost identical trucks. Regular cab 4x4 dmax's, I bet they weigh within 50lbs of each other.

I lifted mine with the green keys. He cranked his torsion bar bolts. Both of us added 2" blocks and u-bolts on the back. Both have H2 wheels/tires.

My front end is higher up than his now by about an inch, maybe a bit less than that, I haven't taken a tape measure but it's visibly slightly taller. You'd think that his would ride better than mine going by your theory, but it's the opposite. His front end rides very rough now, mine feels almost as plush as it did pre-lift.

I don't know the science to it, but it seems as though there is some magic to the green keys affecting the ride quality. You can get as much or more height out of the front end and it retains a better quality ride. That's been my experience.. It may not make sense but you're welcome to come out and take a ride in both trucks to see the difference for yourself.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something. I just don't see it.

I don't know how you can get a better ride... except for maybe overstressing the bars by dropping the a arms down onto the bump stops.

You realize that by doing that you have tons of upward travel that could take the bars beyond there torsion limits.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
958 Posts
I really don't know either, but apparently I'm not the only one to have this seat-of-the-pants inspired conclusion.

I'm aware that there are potential problems that could occur, but I've had it this way for 8000 miles now, including some rough-housing off road in 4wd and it's taken everything in stride. If I break something I promise to not be on here looking for sympathy, but with the way it's handled everything so far I don't foresee any problems in my immediate future. *knock on wood*

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Didnt i read where dmaxallitech put them in and tok them out (the green keys) because they rode too rough..... I also think I read that he did not sugest doing if due to the ride...... Someone please correct me if im wrong....

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Couple other issues...

It's hard on the steering hardware. Ask Michael Tomac. He says that if you lower it it stops bending tie rods. That's a clue.

Friend of mine had an F150 that broke both torsion bars. By having your suspension way up... a hard bump could snap the bars by over twisting them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts