Diesel Place banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently asked about de-rating the rear of my 3500 in order to ease the ride and lower it. I only had one response so I assume that this isn't a procedure too many people perform!

Next, I've been reading about "green keys" for the front torsion bars. I'm out of level (stock) by about 3.75" from front to back. I'd be happy with the front end being raised about 2 inches if that's a reasonable adjustment using the torsion bars. I know that the front end is close to the GVWR by actual scale weight. Could it be that the height is lower than normal? How do I check for the correct height - and would 2 inches be too much adjustment?

Cracker

·
Registered
68 Posts
Most of us that have raised our front ends did it on 2500HD. I wouldn't think that there would be any difference between the two trucks but there may be.

By design, I think the 3500 series trucks naturally set lower in the front end than the 2500. On the 2500, about 2 inches is the maximum amount you want to raise the front end via the torsion bars. As you raise the front end you limit the responsiveness of the suspension and decrease it's lower movement, causing the suspension to bottom out quicker and easier.

On my own truck, 03 GMC 2500HD, CC, SB, I have the adjusters on the torsion bars almost max'd out. My truck sat lower in the front end than most and it took this much adjustment to get it back to where it should have been to begin with.

BTW, I used the length of the frame under the CC to do my measurements, not the front and rear of the body. Additionally, I used a level on the truck bed and measured the front wheel housing to check the setting for level left to right.

Dale

1 - 2 of 2 Posts