Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did some post pic of a rail mount filter near fuel tank????

·
Registered
169 Posts
I saw a picture of a fuel filter mount set up using cat's fuel filter. It was mounted by the fuel cooler on the frame. I dont remember who sent it or what thread it was on but if someone knows could you post it again. I liked the looks of it and would like to use that as a patter to mount my dual oil filter elements too. 270 bucks and have not permitatly installed it yet due to pump oil noise in the cab, didnot have a good location that I liked. If someone can help out here it would be greatly appreciated. AkDually61

·
Registered
185 Posts
That's probably the Nictane system. There is a thread in the Group Buy section. Hopefully we can get something together and get a group buy.

Wayne

·
Registered
216 Posts
I HAVE ONE ON THE FRAME ,DON'T KNOW IF ITS THE ONE YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
AkDually61 said:
I saw a picture of a fuel filter mount set up using cat's fuel filter. It was mounted by the fuel cooler on the frame. I dont remember who sent it or what thread it was on but if someone knows could you post it again. I liked the looks of it and would like to use that as a patter to mount my dual oil filter elements too. 270 bucks and have not permitatly installed it yet due to pump oil noise in the cab, didnot have a good location that I liked. If someone can help out here it would be greatly appreciated. AkDually61

AkDually61,

Was it this one?

If yes, there's more pics in my sig.

2DAMAX

·
Registered
169 Posts
That's the one. is it a nicktane setup? could it be plumbed after the factory one? Thanx, AkDually61

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
AkDually61,

It's not a Nicktane, it's just one I did myself. It uses the exact same CAT 749 filter element though. I didn't want to drill the frame so I made a bracket that used the two existing holes in the vertical wall of the frame rail. It is just in front of the fuel cooler and is plumbed directly into the fuel line pre-oem. I cut the line and double clamped it. I prefilled the filter and didn't even have to prime it. It has had zero issues.

Most guys that plumb after the OEM mount the filter in various locations up under the hood.

2DAMAX

·
Registered
169 Posts
I really like the setup you have. I also like the one up front that Victory Red has. big question. who did you get the head from and where did you get the bracket made at? also, what about warrenty? is pre better than post for that? your help and patients is greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
The head most are using is from CAT. Here is a complete list of parts I copied from other posts b4 I did mine:

CAT Filter parts:

FILTER BASE.......1N-3789

FUEL FILTER.......1R-0750 SHORT OR 1R-0749 TALL

GASKET.....1P-0436 (GOES BETWEEN COVER PLATE WHEN REMOVING PRIME PUMP)

COVER...6N-4414 (REPLACES PRIME PUMP)

PLUG...9S-4182...(FILLS EXTRA HOLE IN FILTER PLATE)

SEAL O RING...3J-7354...(GOES ON PLUG,EXTRA HOLE)

BOLT...8T-0640...(COVER)

BOLT...6V-5218...(COVER)

WASHER...5P-0537...(PUT ON BOLT LISTED ABOVE)

WASHER...9M-1974...(PUT ON BOLT LISTED ABOVE)

CAT filter plate part# 120-4282

CAT# 9S4182 PLUG

CAT# 6V5048 SEAL O RING

CAT# 1415138 BASE

CAT# 1P0436 Gasket(fuel primer pump

CAT# 6N-4414 Cover - filter base

I worked for CAT at the time I did mine and was able to compare the CAT heads to one I bought on ebay from Perm A Cool. If you want (I say want because IMO you won't need) a primer use the CAT, if not the one from PermACool is just fine and 1/10 the cost an many less parts. The CAT filter fits it prfectly.

I made the bracket myself by heating and bending 1/4" by 3" flat mild steel to fit. It was very easy to do but you'll need a torch and a good vise or anvil.

Warranty is another issue. Most of the opinions I seen posted favor Pre-OEM because fuel must still go through the OEM so how can GM have a problem with that? Some folks have talked it over with their dealer first and they feel comfortable or not with Post Oem based on those discussions.

Good LUCK!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Could anyone provide me with a part number for the Perma Cool filter head, and where it can be bought? Also does the Cat filter use a 1 inch NPT thread? Thanks

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
texmax,

I'm out of town at the moment and can't check my actual filter head but the Perma site shows #81794 & others at this page:http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page26.html

The thread is 1" - 14 and that is the same as the CAT element.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was talking with a service guy yesterday about this, asked him if he has a lot of customers that add the additional fuel filters in line. He said a few; I said does it void the warranty? Nope, he says, in fact the more the better, he said that GM should have put a better filter system in the trucks in the first place and why do you think all the big rigs run the additional filters. So at least where I go they are okay with it. No I just need to figure out what system to use, I don't like the idea of it hanging below the frame though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts