Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to play the radio with the key out and doors open

I understand the data bus sends a command to turn off the radio

Is it possible to interrupt the turn off command by disconnecting the data bus wire to the radio with an open switch ?

Will the radio self-destruct in 10 sec.(mission impossible) if it looses comunication with the data bus ?

If anyone has tried this or knows it won't work because of other reasons (security system, fiber optics, etc.) please let me know before I destroy something

I'd hate to let the magic smoke out of the radio if I don't have too

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
The radio wont blow up, it will most likely just shut off. The radio is receiving power all the time regardess of key position, as you said. It wont hurt to try it, but I dont think you'll get the results you're hoping for. The Class II data wire is in the 24 pin head unit connector and its a THIN orange wire. I forget what position, but its near the end...

Dont expect XM to keep working or anything either :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks forgot about RAP

If all the external modules like XM and Amps use RAP for power, keeping the Head unit powered up won't do a thing.

Need something like EFI Live to get control over the Body

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
The easiest way would be to power up the brown ignition wire with an on/off toggle switch.

This should work, I haven't tried it on an 03 or newer but I am pretty certain it will work.

You could also just turn the key on to the first notch which is the accessory position and would do the same thing.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
but Tony I thought the radio switching is controlled PURELY by data? The harness is 12 volts hot all the time. It gets a turn on signal thru data IIRC...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts