Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if I pull my radio out and disconnect the electrical connections, after reinstallation do I have to enter a code for it to work again or will it be locked out?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
only if it has been set. Does it have a blinking red light when you turn key off. if so the code has been set, and if you don't know code, and pull radio out, it will be locked. but if you know the code just punch it in and you will be fine.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Hmmm, my light blinks and I've pulled the radio out, then put it back in, and it worked fine.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
weird? maybe it recognizes something in the ecm. maybe if the code is set, it programs it to that vehicle, and if someone steals it, and tries to put it in their vehicle, it won't work cause it doesn't recognize the ecm. I dunno.:confuzeld

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
no...the 2003+ radios are completely different. They are locked to your VIN. Everytime you start the truck the BCM tells the radio the trucks VIN thru the data bus. If the VIN doesnt match with the VIN stored in the radio, it locks up.

the 2002 and older radios were different. You had to "manually" arm the radio and you locked it with your own unique code. If you unplug the 2002 and older radios and they were previously "armed" by you, then yes you will ahve to re enter the code.

you will never have to enter any code in any 2003+ radio; they dont work that way ;)

ben

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
thanks for clearing that up Ben. It has been a while since I have done any stereo work. I use to do custom stereo work when I was in high school.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.