Diesel Place banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally got around to changing my radio...I took it to the dealer, because i didnt feel like fussing w/it, and i though it was highly likely id break of the plastic tabs/connectors. Also that way i figured itd get reflashed and be ready to truck..I was goin from a regular radio w/single cd player to reg radio w/cd and tape. Both are non bose and xm...
Headaches...
1.)Get it back tonight and start resetting presets and time and notice that my radio volume is about 3/4 volume, but not loud. I crank full tilt and its not really loud. My old radio i never ran it past the first 2-3 bars..Wtf
2.) I go to set the auto equalizer thingie as i always ran in rock, i only got custom and talk for options..
Are both of these possibly caused by the wrong reflash, or not doing one at all? I wouldve gone back into the dealer, but id already been back once on another matter, and noone w/any clue was left...
Lastly i noticed that both my seek/scan and 1/2 preset button arent lit up. By the looks of a search, common practice seems to just replace the radio...true?

I didnt think about it til i was resettin everything tonight, that i shoulda wrote down all my settings(auto vol, bass/treble etc...) off my old radio last night:rant: off...

EDIT: I just found out that the radio i put in, was acutally part of a bose setup...Would this matter?

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
You will need to find a radio of a non-Bose variety for it to work properly. I'm surprised you didn't fry anything... Some of the wiring may be different.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn...I didnt do the install, dealer did so i dont know if they had any trouble getting it to intially work...I guess i better find a new one asap. Should i not use mine, til i can get the right one.?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I have absolutely nothing to add...

BUT, I always am happy to see you post Polar bacause I know I'll get to see that good-looking new lady!):h

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Damn...I didnt do the install, dealer did so i dont know if they had any trouble getting it to intially work...I guess i better find a new one asap. Should i not use mine, til i can get the right one.?
The sad part about it is 20% of the members at this site have more knowledge of these things than 90% of the dealer technicians out there. :eek:

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i switched my radio's back over this morning, to avoid any possible problems...Even tho i asked how easy it was, i still had the dealer switch, really wished i hadnt, seeing as how it took about 10 minutes to get apart and put back together...Oh well...
Anyways, when i put the new one in i noticed i was still having the same problems, that caused me to want to change(minus the eating cd part)THe radio seems to sometimes loose stations...At first i just thought, it was a bad area, but ill come through the same place another time and itll be fine...Is there like an antenna adj, or maybe something loose??

As for the lady...Well, what can i say....she's a hotttttieee..:)

·
Bac To The Future
23,008 Posts
The only trouble with your radio swap is the dealer put the wrong programming into your truck. Take it back to them, explain you DO NOT have Bose and that they'll actually have to LOOK in TIS2000 for the proper program and have them do it right.

D3, your statement is correct, but for a different reason. GM doesn't teach its Techs to think "out of the box" because GM doesn't want people to modify their vehicles.

Frankly, its really sad, because GM could make boo-coo money if they'd ENCOURAGE people to mod, then have a reasonably-priced aftermarket parts catalog, ala Mopar...but GM management is the worst on Earth.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
D3, your statement is correct, but for a different reason. GM doesn't teach its Techs to think "out of the box" because GM doesn't want people to modify their vehicles.

Frankly, its really sad, because GM could make boo-coo money if they'd ENCOURAGE people to mod, then have a reasonably-priced aftermarket parts catalog, ala Mopar...but GM management is the worst on Earth.
Yes, it's sad on both accounts, 1. Like you say, they don't train their techs on all the possibilities of programming, and 2. The prices are through the roof.

I have priced stuff through GM Direct.com, then for $h*ts an giggles went to my dealer to buy from them. The dealer is always DOUBLE what GM Direct has it for. I just tell them it's their loss of business for their prices being so high.

·
Bac To The Future
23,008 Posts
With all the possible programming possibilities, there's no way a single Tech could know if something will work or not until he tries.

Polar bear.....keep trying.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well like i said i got my old one back in there, and everything is fine now..I was also surprised that all i had to do was reset the clock. All the presets and settings were still there..
So even if a radio is a Bose, it can be programmed for non bose...? I think i might look for a 6disc, but i thought i read those were only for bose setups...Ugghh, so confusing im just gonna stare at my pretty lady...

·
Bac To The Future
23,008 Posts
When trying to install radios in our trucks, the problem arises when the tech doesn't know where to look for the proper program. Doing so costs him time. The programs are set up like a computer flow chart...picking one option over another leads into a different list of possibilities. I'd ask next time for them to take their time and do it correctly.

I wish I had a list of TIS2000 programs. I could then tell you exactly which ones to use.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Well like i said i got my old one back in there, and everything is fine now..I was also surprised that all i had to do was reset the clock. All the presets and settings were still there..
So even if a radio is a Bose, it can be programmed for non bose...? I think i might look for a 6disc, but i thought i read those were only for bose setups...Ugghh, so confusing im just gonna stare at my pretty lady...
I believe you can still use a CDX for your set up. That holds 6 CDs. All you would have to do is saw off your cubbie hole and buy the harness (part #15312903). I would check with Ben (DURAtotheMAX). He's up on this stuff more than I am. TheBac (Tom), do you know?

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts