Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched everywhere and can’t get a direct answer. Needing a radiator for my 90 6.2 but the radiator’s for the 6.5 diesel are significantly cheaper. Only difference I can see is no radiator cap so it’s a sealed radiator. Will a 6.5 diesel work on a 6.2?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, but you would need to change the overflow tank to a later model that has the pressure cap on it...
I am dealing with the same problem with my 1986 Chevy G20 6.2 Diesel conversion van. Got a new radiator for it, but when it came, there was no cap on it.
What pressurized overflow tank you would recommend for the G20 van, which will not require too much work to fit it?
Thank you for your help and advice.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have 2 Extra Genuine 4 Core Radiators from a couple of 6.2s i had... I am in Michigan although.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Then no need for a pressure cap, use what you have.
That is very interesting solution, but a bit costly, as it seems that my 1986 G20 6.2 diesel needs about 6.5 gallons of coolant. At about $50 per gallon plus additional cost for preparation it will be substantial expense, but this stuf should last for ever. More info here: Purchase Evans Waterless Coolant Online
As I already bought cap less new 4 core radiator (it was not clear from the pic that it is new radiator without a pressure cap), and also have a new old type no pressure expansion tank, I will probably have to bite the bullet and spend the money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That sounds like a cheaper solution, although aluminium welding is not cheap as well.
I will look into it.
Thank you for your wise advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts