Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need help from all of you 6.5 guys. I was cruising down the interstate then all of sudden i had steam rolling out of the hood, i immediatly cut the engine and popped it in neutral and rolled to the side of the road. I looked down and there was coolant in the cab. I popped the hood and the radiator hose(the top hose) was blown off. I hauled it to the Auto shop at school to look at it. I went put the hose back on filled it up with coolant and started it up. Temps were fine they were normal climbed a little bit but still under normal. i got out of the cab and noticed it was smoking really bad white smoke. I just figured that it seeped through the down pipe clamp some how. So i didnt think to much of it, but after a while coolant, then oil started coming out of the exhaust. Thats when i shut it off and was not happy. There was a small leak coming from what i think was the hose or tha region leaking coolant. I was just wondering what i should do. Right now im getting it looked at by a Diesel mechanic ill know what they think happened by the end of this week. Just wondering what you guys think happened? Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
head gaskets?

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Head gaskets or cracked heads into the coolant passages pressured up the coolant system with compression and blew off the hose. R&R the heads and get checked.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats what my auto's teacher told me could be the problem. I hope thats just the problem. Although my truck is still sitting outside Point Diesel and they still didnt look at it.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
IF you do the work and take 4 times longer to get it done you'll still have your truck back 4 times sooner...

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
What's the math on that? So you take four times as long. Say the book gives you 10 hours. You do it in 40 hours. And if you get it back 4 times sooner than that means you'll get done 120 hrs before you start? Hmmmm?

·
Registered
935 Posts
You got it all wrong on the math.. What he means is you get it done 120 hours before the shop starts on it..
Ted

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
Oh. I get it now! Never was to good with those word questions. Math ain't all that bad. Spelling ain't bad either as long as spellchek is work'n.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So they finally got back to me about my truck. They said shes done she blew they say. No i really dont think shes done because they were telling me the prices for everything i needed and i honestly laughed at them. They said for a new engine, $7-8000 without installation. A new turbo $2000 again without installation. They also told me one of the reasons it blew was from my homemade boost controller, and from my K&N running right off of the turbo. Maybe they are thinking since im younger they can take advantage of me, but i ended up towing my truck back to my house. Now im looking to take it to somewere else.

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
Looks like a good time to start learning about your truck. Oil coming out of the tailpipe could be from a failed turbo. Remove downpipe and have a look the the back of turbo. Coolant problem is probably from blown head gaskets. Coolant in the cab could be from a ruptured heater core and could have been caused by high coolant pressure from blown head gaskets. Get a manual, some tools and start learning. We can help.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I had a service manager tell me that they really hated the 6.5. Particularly, they felt the lack of training they received on the engine and the limited OBD made toubleshooting within the constraints of allowed warrantee hours impossible and much of the work came out of their pocket.

Without looking at your disassembled engine, I'd say your people are cowards. What idiot blames the intake end of a diesel for a blown engine - more of a gas engine issue. "It's ALL ball bearings...." If you don't have the desire to work on it yourself, find another place to work on it. There's likely a lot of good vehicle left there.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
IF you do the work and take 4 times longer to get it done you'll still have your truck back 4 times sooner...
Let me clarrify this.

Drop the truck off in the morning at the dealer for a 1 day job.

Dealer takes 4 days before they even look at it as a bigger client has a bigger problem.

Dealer waits 1 day for parts.

Dealer does the 1 day job, next day you get your truck back. Your on your 7th day now.

You already know whats wrong with your truck, you ordered parts and still had use of your truck.
You spend 4 days repairing your truck and are driving it on the 4th day. OK so my math sucks but you still got your truck back sooner :D and saved a ton of cash!

Or you could simply send it to DAS and wait 5 months :mad:

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I saw a new GM-8 on ebay for ~$100 USd and you can get new heads from $300-500 USd.

I can pull a engine, send it to a machinist and put it back together for less than $1100 in parts and services (as long as it's not totally trashed) Labor maybe another $1000-1500 USd.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After reading all of your post i pretty much decided just to do it myself otherwise nothing is going to get done sone on it or done right. So you guys will see me in the future posting on here for help. Thanks alot for all your help already.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I don't think you could have picked a better group of guys to help you out. With the knowledge of everyone on this forum i'm sure we'll all be able to help you get through it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
someone in a post on this tread said get a "manual" and learn about your truck(6.5td). I agree and also need to take this advice. Where do we find a manual for a 6.5TD. auto parts store or is that a dealer thing? and how much $ are we talking for a service/repair manual for a 6.5?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Got my FSM off Ebay.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Got my FSM off Ebay.
Same place i got mine, though i still paid a pretty penny for it. I will admit that the Haynes Diesel Techbook is a pretty good source of info for the price, but nowhere near as comprehensive as the FSM.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts