Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I buy a bug screen that doesn't go on the outside of my grill. Lund makes a nice one thats a grill insert but it won't fit a HD 2005 GMC. Thanks for any help. Bill:help2:

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
The only one I've seen is made by Fia but that is on the outside too.I haven't seen one that goes on the inner portion of the grill,unless you fab up something with a real good fastening system

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Took a few sec. to find this by useing the Search, but I knew it was there. Here look in the bottom 2 threads started by Roegs.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Grill bug screen

I fabed one and it works great. Just get some good quality screen and then remove the grill. Lay it down on something soft to protect the finish and then cut the screen to fit over the inside of the plastic guard. Leave enough to press into the recesses around the edge. I used bungee cords that I cut into pieces that fit, and just pressed the screen around the inside edge. It's been on there for over a year now and it's doing fine. Just wash off those nasty bug guts and the radiator stays clean.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
The screen will probably be OK if unloaded, but be careful when towing in the heat. A screen in front of radiator can hold back quite a bit of air, and affect engine coolant and transmission temperature.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I cut window screen to fit ...It works fine, keeps bugs out of radiator...It is true.. it could keep air out of radiator... I watch the temp ...but never had a heat issue...I used same for 20 years and never had problem.(could be a first time)

·
Registered
511 Posts
I cut 1/8" window screen and wire-tied it to the grille. I also used the sticky-backed velcro tabs. One side I stuck to the bumper & areas of the grille, then I put the screen in front of the other side of the velcro (didn't stick that side to anything). So, it makes a velcro/screen/velcro sandwich. Works pretty good. I installed it the first week I had my truck and I still don't have any bugs in my radiator fins nor any bent fins due to rocks. I've put almost 36K on my truck.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I don't know of any aftermarket screens for the inside of the grill. I just bought window screen and blackzip ties and installed in on the inside of my grill. You can hardly notice it and it works really well. Been doing this since my 01 silverado and have nearly 100,000 mile between that one and this truck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts