Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
In a 94 its safest to use the older glycol base green colored coolant. GM started using the newer Dexcool pink/orange coolant in 1996.
Never mix different type/ color coolants. Always add the same type/ color.

Reactions: guybb3

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Don't use coolant based only on it's color.
You need to check the anti-freeze if it's silica free. Silica damages o-rings & rubber alike.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Don't use coolant based only on it's color.
You need to check the anti-freeze if it's silica free. Silica damages o-rings & rubber alike.
That is not exactly true. OAT coolants like Dex Cool are silica free but you should never mix OAT based coolants with older (green, yellow) Glycol coolants. A chemical reaction will occur resulting in the glycol turning to gell and clogging up the cooling system. Never mix OAT (Usually Pink, orange, red) coolants with Glycol base coolants no matter what the silica content.
OAT coolants can also damage gaskets and seals on older engines not designed for it.

Reactions: scasanova

·
Registered
29 Posts
You will need to use GM part number: 3634621 after putting in new antifreeze. This is the coolant system seal tabs. You will put all six tabs in your radiator. This helps to seal the head gaskets and any minor leaks. Many mechanics do not know about these seal tabs.

I have seen many heads taken off when all the car needed was seal tabs. The Cadillac Northstar was probably the worst.

·
Administrator
16,051 Posts
You will need to use GM part number: 3634621 after putting in new antifreeze. This is the coolant system seal tabs. You will put all six tabs in your radiator. This helps to seal the head gaskets and any minor leaks. Many mechanics do not know about these seal tabs.

I have seen many heads taken off when all the car needed was seal tabs. The Cadillac Northstar was probably the worst.
Is that an updated part number?
The part number we have listed in the Parts List section of the FAQ shows:
Coolant System Seal Tabs:
GM: 10953473

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is that an updated part number?
The part number we have listed in the Parts List section of the FAQ shows:
Coolant System Seal Tabs:
GM: 10953473
I guess my number is updated. The numbers have changed through the years. My number works on Amazon. You just need to use 60 grams of whichever number. This one takes 6. There is another number for 4 cylinder engines (12378254) and it takes 15.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The funny thing about the GM "tabs" is that they are literally repackaged Bars Leak tabs. Like these: https://www.amazon.com/Bars-Leaks-HDC-Radiator-Tablet/dp/B000KKND3Q/ref=asc_df_B000KKND3Q/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312181776237&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9170128968738861258&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007343&hvtargid=aud-801738734305:pla-569057243725&psc=1

No secret. Especially on the Northstar engine which was prone to head gasket leaks. This was a patch. I worked for GM dealers at the time. Great running engine, but cooling systems........

Having said that, Bars Leak products are not a bad thing. But, you shouldn't have to add a sealer to a properly functioning cooling system IMHO.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Think the tabs from GM originally came out on the earlier 4.1L Cadillac. Seems the gaskets would leak coolant into the engine oil and over time wipe out the cam bearings. Fix was GM's "horse pills" produced by Bars leak. They work quite well, I had one of those Cadillacs and never had any issues. I used them on every coolant change.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Ya the Cadillac 4100 in 82 was the first time adding those pills at every service was in the manual. 99% chance every car that left the factory from every manufacturer had a similar thing but didn't 'require' it as part of the maintenance.

The 4100 was aluminum block with iron heads. Part of the pills I think was a corrosion thing because at the time aluminum wasn't common yet so most coolants didn't include the additives for aluminum. Head gaskets were an issue but I don't think was what the pills were trying to address. I think the main leak issue that the pills could help was the intake.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts